Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
I think you already answered your question. "Show, Don't Tell" is a rule of thumb for avoiding boring stories. But if it's not relevant to the story, then "Kill Your Darlings" applies instead.  It's largely a matter of taste, but I feel like the latter rule is always the more important one, with some notable exceptions*.

If it's relevant to a future story, of course you can include it.  If you want to do it to learn how to write fight scenes, go ahead and do it. I know I need the experience, but I think my main problem is that I don't even know how I would fight another person, and I don't have the physical knowledge to figure out how it all works.

* The biggest exception I can think of was in Star Trek I where they spend like ten minutes showing the Enterprise in dock from every angle.  This was to give time to allow the theater audiences to cheer.  If your audience has the same darlings, don't kill 'em!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals - by Labster - 03-29-2020, 03:52 AM