Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
(04-29-2020, 12:03 AM)Labster Wrote:
myself, last thread, two weeks earlier Wrote:Since Trump never actually ordered anything closed, he can't order anything back open.

Unless...

And this is crazy town...

So in 2007, Congress in their wisdom decided to give the President the authority to invoke martial law in states and take direct control of their National Guard without the consent of the governors. It has to be a situation in which a right enumerated in the Constitution where the governor cannot or will not enforce that right. So, freedom of assembly? Prohibiting the free exercise of religion? Stopping the right to bear arms by closing gun stores? I think the legal right is probably there. Martial law has been used in the U.S. in the past to get people to return to work, like in the SF dockworkers strike.

The only downside to this idea is starting a civil war in the middle of a pandemic, so there is that.

Welcome to crazy town, folks!  AG Barr says state orders for containing COVID-19 may violate Constitution.  So here's our Attorney General trying to lay the groundwork for this, in a move that is classic Barr.  Does Trump want him to to this?  Probably not, or maybe only some days of the week.  But dollars to donuts AG Barr has the same crackpot idea I had *and* he also thinks it's a good idea.

And in terms of the strikebreaking idea, Trump has just ordered slaughterhouses and meat packing plants to reopen -- the ones that have been closed because of large scale epidemics among the workers.  Unions are not happy about the life-threatening conditions at work.  But hey, maybe we can consider The Jungle a futuristic book now?

Fucking called it.  Welcome to the jungle.

We saw it with our own eyes: Trump wants to go to war against America
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse - by Labster - 06-02-2020, 12:25 AM