Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Looking for software suggestions
Looking for software suggestions
#1
Question 
Picked up a new-to-me laptop late last week, and now it's time to configure it. The last time I did this, the machine was running Win7, 32-bit. The new laptop runs Win10 Pro, 64-bit.

What software do I want? The budget is tight, so legally-freeware is preferred.

I've already installed Panda Free Antivirus (I'm used to it), FireFox with uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger, Notepad++, GIMP, and LibreOffice. Daz Studio is an all-weekend install job, so that's for later.

What do I want for email? Is the Mail program that comes with Win10 Pro good enough, do I want to replace it with Thunderbird, or should I be looking somewhere else?

The laptop's old enough to have a DVD-RW drive - do I want VLC Media Player or something else for media playback? And what do I want for DVD mastering (to turn legally-downloaded movies or movies I make myself with Daz Studio into playable DVDs)?

Is PuTTY still the most useful SSH/Telnet client out there?

What do I want for zip-file maintenance: 7zip, IZArc, or something else?

Should I install IrfanView, or is there a better lightweight image file viewer/converter out there? (It seems silly to me to fire up GIMP just to convert one file from BMP to JPG... which I've had to do a few times last week for All The Tropes.)

Acrobat Reader or something else for working with PDFs? Is the Win10 print-to-PDF function decent, or is there a better print-to-PDF driver available?

And have I missed anything obvious?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.


Boycotting ALL products from the USA as long as that country's leader continues to lie about my native country.
Government of Canada: How to immigrate to Canada
Government of Canada: Claiming refugee protection (asylum) from within Canada
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-13-2020, 02:52 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by Jinx999 - 07-13-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-13-2020, 05:43 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-22-2020, 09:08 AM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by Labster - 07-22-2020, 10:49 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-23-2020, 07:32 AM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by Labster - 07-23-2020, 11:59 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-24-2020, 08:16 AM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-25-2020, 05:16 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-26-2020, 05:15 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by robkelk - 07-27-2020, 06:00 PM
RE: Looking for software suggestions - by Labster - 07-29-2020, 03:46 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)