Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
So... pondering on the US Senate and the election in Georgia.

If both or either seat in Georgia goes to the GOP, then it's possible - dare I say "likely" because of the current unwillingness of the GOP to work with anyone else - that nothing will get done for four more years.

But if they both go Dem... then things get interesting.

Everybody's saying that if both of Georgia's seats go to the Democratic Party, then the Senate will be split 50-50 and the Vice-President will break the ties. But that isn't necessarily so: there are two independent Senators who caucus with the Democrats, but they aren't part of the party. If an independent really wants something to pass the Senate, he can do some horse-trading for something he wants to pass the Senate as well, as his price for supporting the government.

From what I've seen in a very-quick look, one of the independents - Angus King - isn't likely to ask for anything that the Dems wouldn't be comfortable supporting.

But the other independent is Bernie Sanders.

Judging from how minority Parliaments work, this gives him a golden opportunity - possibly his only opportunity ever - to get one of his pet projects through the Senate. (Whether it would also pass the House and then avoid a veto is another matter altogether.) I wonder which one he'd pick.

So... If you live in Georgia and are allowed to vote, vote. The results just might change your entire country.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings - by robkelk - 12-14-2020, 09:41 PM