Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wear Your Mask - COVID-19 Thread II
RE: Wear Your Mask - COVID-19 Thread II
(08-31-2021, 09:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I know, it's one of the things that inspired me.  They're still acknowledging that they get sick, though.  The idea here is to get them to reject the very idea that they can and do get sick, and that anything can alleviate that, as a liberal hoax.  That even broken bones and bleeding wounds are the result of a hoax and a conspiracy.  I'm betting it's entirely possible -- and it would benefit the gene pool.

Bob, I get your frustration, but as someone who is centrist and has friends at both ends of the pool, as it were, you are slightly off, but not by much.

What you are correct on is yes, they likely do not take COVID as seriously as they should, no question.

However, what the real problem is, from their end, is three things:

1. Most anti-vax types believe no amount of safety is a fair trade for liberty. Me, I believe in times of obvious emergency, a temporary surrender of some liberty for security until the crisis has passed is not only fair but entirely logical, pursuant to the legal arguments of Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes. From their view, they fear any loss of liberty being permanent and view anyone willing to meekly submit it as being naive at best and complicit in ensuring a permanent loss of liberty at worst.

2. It's not they are ignorant of the danger per se. Only the most idiot fringe deny COVID is real and potentially deadly. Rather, they are so resentful due to point 1 they'd rather go back to living normally and die breathing free air than continue to have their lives restricted and have seething contempt for anyone who gives them grief for it. Me, I still exercise due caution in public anyway as a courtesy despite being vaccinated because I took the levelheaded stance in point 1.

3. Due to the absolute polarization of politics these days, and in light of what I mentioned in the first two points, they would take your satire as unironic proof you hate them, want them all dead, and they'd return the sentiment. I think taking things that far is unreasonable for anyone, no one needs to be killed over mere differing views, but from their perspective, they believe if you could kill them, you would, especially if you could legally get away with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wear Your Mask - COVID-19 Thread II - by GethN7 - 09-04-2021, 04:14 PM
RE: Wear Your Mask - COVID-19 Thread II - by aku - 01-06-2022, 10:06 AM