Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
(07-06-2022, 06:56 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Also, looks more like the entries are being fleshed out massively, not socking, but Charlies Barnes needs their work compared to TVT to make sure it's not copy-paste.

I just took a look at the first of his edits, to Lost Girls (comics), and it isn't copied from TVT -- for one thing, Lost Girls got nuked during the content purge in 2012 and as far as I can tell never came back. If it's HappyBirthday, he's upping his game at least where quality of content is concerned.

EDIT: The next one, though -- to The Wild Bunch -- is definitely plagiarized. The edit to Trading Places/Trivia looks like he just pasted in a copy TVT's page right over our page with no regard to its original content. I'm going to keep checking, but now I'm wondering where he got the content for Lost Girls -- it's unlikely he plagiarized dozens of kilobytes on other pages and put in the effort to create original material for just one.

EDIT 2: Okay. I went through everything. Lots and lots of plagiarism, with occasional (small) original bits to break up the monotony. I'm going to reject everything (I've already approved the Lost Girls edit) and mark this guy as a spammer on the assumption that even if he isn't HappyBirthday he's unlikely to stop plagiarizing. (We can always unspammerize him if everyone else disagrees.) I'm not even going to bother with a note on his user page. And when I'm done here I'm going to see if I can't google search a possible source for the Lost Girls material -- based on everything else I can't imagine it not being plagiarized from somewhere, but damned if I can guess where.

EDIT 3: And found it. Some of it was text copied from Tropedia, which would be okay, but the rest was material painstakingly assembled from examples left on TVT trope pages after the content purge. Undid the approval.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV - by Bob Schroeck - 07-15-2022, 01:44 PM