Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
And now I will suddenly and totally change the topic. I was looking at uploading an infographic from Statista.com when I noticed its license was the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Public License. The NoDerivatives part caught my eye because we had that whole kerfluffle a while back about getting rid of ND images because we weren't allowed even to resize them, and I thought that was an odd restriction on charts basically intended to be used by other outlets, so I went and took a look at actual terms for CC BY-ND 3.0 (well, actually 4.0, because that's where Statista's link sent me), and found this:

Quote:Section 2 – Scope.
a. License grant.
4. Media and formats; technical modifications allowed. The Licensor authorizes You to exercise the Licensed Rights in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter created, and to make technical modifications necessary to do so. The Licensor waives and/or agrees not to assert any right or authority to forbid You from making technical modifications necessary to exercise the Licensed Rights, including technical modifications necessary to circumvent Effective Technological Measures. For purposes of this Public License, simply making modifications authorized by this Section 2(a)(4) never produces Adapted Material.

Am I misreading this, or does this actually allow us to resize and do other simple changes necessary for convenient display of CC BY-ND images, unlike what we thought some months back? I mean, that final sentence sure looks like it says things like resizing doesn't count as "derivative" versions.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI - by Bob Schroeck - 09-14-2022, 09:05 PM