Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII
(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote:
(10-13-2023, 11:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I should have asked this years ago...  Brent, not long after you created the History page back in 2014, the first proper entry you put on it read:

Quote:"probably in 1978" Author A. Bertram Chandler attends a match of the All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling league. If this hadn't happened, there would be no All The Tropes.

I just found out that this event directly caused the creation of Dirty Pair... but I'm still at a loss for the chain of connections that get from there to, presumably, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and from there to TVT and then us).  What do you know that you haven't shared?

Basically, the missing link is UF-CORE.  If you hadn't made the page on Undocumented Features, and left a Fanfic Rec of Symphony of the Sword, I never would have met you or visited this forum.  And without knowing other people upset about the policy changes, I never would have bothered to get the data.

Huh. Would you mind if I put some version of that in the history page?

(10-18-2023, 03:11 AM)Labster Wrote: The above note on the timeline is just me reflecting on how deeply weird history is, that a witty remark by an author I never read can snowball into a large impact on other people's lives, including mine.  Who knows, Gryphon might have stayed in college, I might have gotten a better job, and Google might have decided to not be evil.  Oh well, we'll never know. Wink

You don't need to tell me about that kind of thing. If I hadn't flirted with a cute brunette named Lisa at an SCA event in 1985, I would never have met Peggy (and Lisa would never have been her maid of honor -- and no, they didn't know each other before I introduced them), I never would have gotten into V&V and GURPS, and my writing career, if it existed at all, would have gone in a completely different direction.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVIII - by Bob Schroeck - 10-18-2023, 07:16 AM