RE: Isekai by Moonlight
09-24-2026, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2026, 10:36 AM by Bob Schroeck.)
09-24-2026, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2026, 10:36 AM by Bob Schroeck.)
Quote:"Letting"? I had the impression it was more like requiring. And when a government requires people to have surnames, it's for keeping track of taxes.
As I may have mentioned on the boards in a different context, this is the reason the Dutch have family names -- when they got conquered/occupied by Napoleonic forces, they were required to so the French could track them better. As a result, they frequently took trolling or even offensive terms as family names under the assumption that they were going to be temporary anyway...
-- Bob
I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber. I have been
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber. I have been
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

