Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META/DRAFT/RFC] What crosses the line?

One thing people should recognise is that there IS such a thing as overkill in Fenspace. This is something I run into quite a bit with my own story ideas,
which is probably my fault in how I put my characters together.

It's not as if the SOTA stays still even in The Real World; in Fenspace it can get insane. This is where the Rules throw some limits at the author. Limits
are not necessarily a bad thing, used properly they can make a story more interesting (hence Rule 1). Finding ways around the limits is a time honoured
tradition in Humanity.

However, the limits help stop us running away with things. We don't want to get to the Lensman level of technological overkill (There's this Big Bad
over here we can't stop normally. Let's throw a PLANET at them at FTL.).

You can move the limits back a bit without too much trouble, its moving them back a large way that you have to both be careful and ask about. Like Mal has
said, be prepared to defend your choice. If there's a good in-story reason for it, it will probably be more likely to pass the Collective's gaze. If
not, it'll probably be loudly rejected.

Also, I'd like to reiterate Rob's point about dark stories and the Genre Directive. We have Bad Guys out there, and they are not nice. That's OK,
as long as it serves to illustrate that the Good Guys are working against it. A redemption story works as long as that dark background doesn't take over
the story.

Collaberative fiction like Fenspace is a hard thing to do, especially when the setting allows for such potential. Let's all be good neighbours and talk
when we have problems. You may not like what's said, and the bounds of politeness may get strained, but it's easier to ask than argue.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-01-2008, 05:30 AM
[No subject] - by Cobalt Greywalker - 06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-03-2008, 11:16 PM