Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC/draft] Shifting Perspectives

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Sure, I'm serious. Mid-2009 is when Stellvia started growing seriously; your character would be in on the ground floor of the process.

Heck, if you want the character to be a desk jockey, you could even call him "Jake Hansen" - that's the name of Stellvia's
not-very-well-developed first-shift Duty Officer. But I suspect you'd rather your writer avatar have more important things to do than just answer comm
calls and direct traffic...

Well, in all honesty? This guy, whoever he is, probably would not be 'me'. I've got some stuff planned for my official avatar (such as he
is/I am), and while I could shoehorn this guy into that role -- seeing as how he's a blank slate right now -- this isn't how I planned to introduce
him. Yes, the car is based on my vehicle, but that's easy enough to change for either of them. So Jake Hansen he very well might be. We'll probably
want to take that one offline and discuss -- unless open discussions are the policy here, that's one of the things I'm unsure of. I'm fine with
either.

And as for directing traffic... have you ever sat in on a dispatch office? I have. My wife works as a taxi dispatcher. It can be called lots of
things, but *boring* is not one of them. [Image: smile.gif]

(I would've thought the AI would handle the comm calls, though -- unless that's a reflection of Noah's attitude towards wavetech, that he'd
rather have a meat-person do it?)

Quote: I dunno man, first-shift DO on Stellvia would end up being first to get hit by a lot of Hurricane Haruhi's antics, particularly through "With
Liberty." It's not exactly *regular* excitement, but it'd be *exciting.*
Heh. Actually, that could very well be true, even without Haruhi. I've *done* first-shift lots-of-things in my life, and y'know what?
It's always the start and end of jobs that get interesting. The middle of the shift is when you *sleep*. [Image: smile.gif] So, depending on what exactly the duty
officer's duties *are*, that could be quite easy to spin up into actual interesting stuff.

And for that matter, what's he do in his spare time? With (in part, at least) the resources of Stellvia at his kind-of disposal... hmm. (curse you, idea
worms!)

Quote: Another point in favor of an early launch would be his attitude about the more extreme claims for what Handwavium can do. After the Corners goes up, some of
the wilder stories probably become a lot more believable than he seems to find them -- after all, if it can take a big chunk of West Virginia into orbit,
some of the crazy things claimed for cars can't be that unreasonable.
Precisely. This is, in fact, one of the main reasons I was looking at an early start. Plus... well, I like reading about GREAT JUSTICE! and all,
but I'm not sure if I can or want to *write* about it.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Messages In This Thread
[RFC/draft] Shifting Perspectives - by Sofaspud - 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-06-2008, 11:07 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-06-2008, 11:40 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-07-2008, 02:42 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 06-07-2008, 03:31 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-07-2008, 04:16 AM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-07-2008, 04:26 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-07-2008, 04:32 AM