Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(fic-snippet) Two bits with Rhett the accidental catboy (snippet & discovering the fen newsgroup hierarchy)

To: nntp://fen.soc.biomods
Time: 25:20 MST (Mars Standard)
Date: October 31, 2015
Subject: RE: Halloween, okay this isn't too bad

>I've lost count of how many times I've been complimented on my 'costume'. Only downside is they keep asking J-friend and D-friend how much their 'kid's' costume cost. Or if they know about the costumer's guild they ask them how long it took to make.
>Be careful what role you play in public.

There's a difference between putting on a costume, and people already assuming you're in one. I'm in the second camp myself - or was a few years back before I sort of became well known. I'll be honest and say that - sometimes, when people assumed that I was just wearing a costume rather than being biomodded - it was actually kind of liberating. I could put all that baggage down for a bit and feel normal for a few hours - just another person in a suit. People tended to accept that a lot faster, and it helped me feel more 'normal' in the early days. At the very least, it saved a complex explanation. "It's a costume" is just so much easier to say than the alternative.

Some psychologists would call it unhealthy. But, it can be handy.

I'd cosplay if I could - it was always fun the few times I tried. I can't do it anymore for obvious reasons. Though, I wonder if our whole lives aren't some form cosplay after being biomodded.

Anyway, never let the fear of rogue memes stop you from doing something fun Wink Otherwise, none of us would do anything.

-Jet

----------------------------------

-On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME.”
--Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Dartz - 09-21-2014, 05:47 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 09-22-2014, 02:24 AM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 09-22-2014, 04:44 AM
[No subject] - by HRogge - 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM
[No subject] - by JakeGrey - 09-23-2014, 11:47 PM