Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your life depends on a very thin wire.

I've been picking up bit and pieces of this for awhile and some of that is happening down here. I don't know if our grid has it's redundancies ripped out to the same degree but it does have some known vulnerabilities - attack the coal mine, power plant stops. Though I think the media's been down playing it and tying it to the Preppers.

As for food supplies, it's a case of ouch due to the storage variability of each supermarket down here. Typically they have enough space in the back to store the content of two 40 foot trailers, but there's many that can't. However they're not fussed as they typically get a number of such trucks turning up a day to keep stock levels up. Which is fine for those nearby the distribution centers but with our remote areas, a daily delivery becomes impractical for anything not able to be sourced locally (bakery, dairy, meat) and those no doubt hold a few days supply (I've been in the back of a supermarket in Alice Springs and they had pallets & cages everywhere + 40 foot container loads in the loading dock). Now for the power side of things, not all supermarkets and shopping centers have generators and those that do I've no clue of their fuel reserves, nor if the output is enough to keep the store operating. Some of the ones I've seen barely seem capable of keeping the freezers running (i4 ~1.4-2L).

Have you considered making a TED talk or dare I say DEFCON lecture on this topic?

--Rod.H

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Rod.H - 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 02-12-2016, 03:05 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 02-13-2016, 10:04 AM
[No subject] - by hmelton - 02-14-2016, 09:11 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-14-2016, 05:52 PM
A little longer term - by hmelton - 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-17-2016, 03:52 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM