Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamma Emission: Unintended Side-effects

I blame Wiregeek for kicking this off, with his crazy talk about a fangirl obsessed with Terrence in Legendary chat. It started wheels turning.

Then these other two jokers got involved, and before ya know it, my muse is kicking me impatiently while I try to get work done. *sigh*

----------------------

Tales of the Legendary

Emerald Blast: Physical Therapy

----------------------

I woke up slowly, which isn't the usual routine but a change that I welcomed. Usually it's ... not the case.

My dreams are rarely pleasant. I never remember them as anything but a half-understood echo of what they may have been -- grayscale and covered in fog, out of
focus, with the soundtrack a half-second out of synch and playing through crappy speakers, versus the Dolby stereo, full Technicolor, Hollywood extravaganza
everyone else seems to describe. I just remember that they're not good. It didn't bother me anymore. I didn't let it. It didn't need to
bother me -- Mr. Whiskers and I could take it. Who needed good dreams anyway?

This -- morning? afternoon? evening? -- was different. It wasn't that I suddenly remembered my dreams, it was more that I wasn't upset. I just
felt... good. And while the sheets were still sweat-soaked and tangled around my legs, my pillow was dry and comfortable, instead of being damp with tears
like it usually was. That was a nice change too.

I smiled and snuggled into the bed a bit more. I didn't need to be anywhere. I could sleep in, stay in bed all day for a change, if that's what I
wanted. I wasn't even going to open my eyes... just lay here, drift back to sleep, and enjoy the soft rumble of Mr. Whiskers snoring gently next to me.

(I'm doing what?)

My eyes shot open. For a moment, I thought I was having a flashback to that night back in Basic -- but then the brain cells kicked in and ID'd my
companion. Well-defined cheeks, strong chin, shock of dark hair that even in his sleep fought the good fight and stood at attention... yeah, that's
Terrence Knight. Oh, ok, it's only Terrence. He's one of your teammates, Rhea. In The Legendary. See? It's all good.

(You are in BED... with Terrence. Wow. Must've been some mission, girl.)

What the HELL? Had I been drinking again? I bit my lip and tried frantically to scrub away the fog shrouding my memory of the day before. I'd been
fighting off some hydra, helping out some heroes who'd gotten in over their heads. I remembered that. Mr. Whiskers tackled the one trying to sneak up
behind me, I channeled his power at the one in front -- lots of green glowy stuff flying out of my hands, always a rush... then a big shrug. Sorry, ma'am,
no memories here. Didja try in that other guys head?

The shower cut off, and only then did I register that the noise of it had been in the background the whole time I'd been awake. That meant... what,
exactly? This looked like an apartment -- it wasn't MY apartment, but all apartments have that apartment-like feel to them, and anyway, it wasn't big
enough to be a house, and... Rhea, you're getting sidetracked. Focus, girl! You're in Terrence's apartment, you're -- let's make sure,
yeah, you're naked -- and someone else just got out of the shower.

... this really IS that night in Basic all over again.

It must be his girlfriend, what's-her-name. Oh, it doesn't matter, what matters is, he's GOT A GIRLFRIEND, you crazy bitch, why'd you sleep
with him if he's got a girlfriend?! And... oh, damn. She must have come in, didn't realize you were here, Terrence must have blocked her view. That
cheating bastard! Why'd he sleep with you if he's got a girlfriend?

(*Did* you sleep with him?)

Oh, man, there's no way to tell... but I felt pretty good when I woke up. Yeah, I did, I know I did. Dammit. It's been a long time, sure I needed
that with a capital NEED, but, still...

I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

Radiation. Dear god, had I cooked Terrence in my addled passion last night? He was snoring, he seemed okay... but radiation's a tricky thing like that.
He could have had a fatal dose. I *knew* better, dammit. This is why I don't drink anymore, why I stay calm and cheerful all the time. Mr. Whiskers is
one tough kitty, but even he can't keep his powers under control if I'm all stressed out and excited. He explained that to me a long time ago, that
was the price he had to pay for saving my life.

... and even if you didn't kill Terrence, what if he wants kids someday? Jesus, Rhea! What the hell were you THINKING?!

(Well, you can just heal him, right?)

Oh, don't be silly, that doesn't work on cancer, remember? Or any genetic stuff... it's only good for the usual things, like breaks and cuts and
stuff. And stop distracting me, I've gotta get out of here before SHE realizes we're here. She wouldn't mind YOU, you little furball, but I'm
dogmeat if she catches me.

Deep breath. Calm. Cheerful. Om mani pad my wallet. Okay. Here's the plan: clothes, quick quick like a cat, out that door, why are there no windows in
here, fly away, change my name, send Terrence an apology note later and donate something in his name for the cure for testicular cancer. Hope you had fun
there Terrence, I'm sure I did, just wish I could remember it. Sorry about your girlfriend and your beanbag. Oh, god.

As if on cue, the bathroom door opened.

My eyes met hers from across the room, I opened my mouth to say something -- probably "It's not what you think," or maybe "Don't shoot,
I'm unarmed," -- but she beat me to it.

"Oh, you're awake," she said quietly, scrubbing her hair with a towel. She was nude, and seemed unconcerned about it. Well, at least we were on
even footing there. "Sleep well?" I'd seen her somewhere before, I was sure of it...

The hospital. Mr. Whiskers. I spun frantically, found him where he belonged next to my pillow, turned back around and sat up, clutching him to my chest. It
all came back in a rush. Her holding me up. The relief and the joy. The hug. The hospital floor. The kiss -- oh, god, the KISS. I had tackled her and
kissed her and must have passed out, she took me home for safekeeping, then I went and slept with her boyfriend. That's it, I'm going to Hell.

I took a moment to gather myself. Calm. Cheerful. Collected. I had to stay calm, so I could apologize for sleeping with her boyfriend, for letting my
hormones get out of control and ravishing her in the hospital room, oh god... Why had I done that? I *must* have been drinking before I wound up there,
there's no other explanation...

(It's okay, she knows. She was there. They were there. You weren't drinking, you were just... relaxed, and having fun.)

I was?

(Very much so. Here, let me show you.) Another rush of images, some that brought a flush to my cheek in their vividness. (You see? You can't hurt
either of them. You can let go.)

I can let go?

(You can let go.)

I felt all the tension drain out of me, and with that the first hint of my usual impishness came back.

"I... didn't sleep much at all, actually. And neither did you."

Gamma Emission -- Lisa, as I'd learned last night -- grinned. "I think we broke Terrence."

"... nrrggh," commented the subject of our discussion.

I poked him in the ribs, causing him to open one eye but not accomplishing much else. "He's a big boy, he can take it."

Lisa chuckled as she opened a strange metallic box at the foot of the bed and pulled out some clothes. She dropped the clothes on her side of the bed and
grimaced, stretching out sore muscles loosened by the shower. Happily, I didn't seem to have any of those... chalk up another benefit to Mr. Whiskers
healing powers.

"...cmon back ta bed..." Terrence mumbled, closing his eye and beginning to snore again.

In the shadows, I finally noticed the unhealthy glow surrounding most of the hard objects in the sparse apartment. Lisa noticed me checking it out and
grimaced. "I really need those sheets," she muttered. "Everything in here is emitting."

I thought back to the night before, and blushed. "We, um, kinda went overboard, didn't we?"

"... man overboard, whee..." Terrence mumbled into his pillow. Lisa and I ignored him.

"Well... the neighbors haven't complained. Yet."

"Heh."

Terrence sat up, yawned and stretched, then scratched at his chest. "If you two are going to insist on being active at whatever way-too-early time this
is... I guess I'd better get up too."

I looked at Lisa, she looked at me. In unison we turned away and said, "Nah. Too easy."

"What?" Terrence blinked, then blushed. "Oh. Hey! That's not what I meant." He looked around and whistled. "Hey Lisa... I
think I owe you a new bed."

I snorted. "You owe her a night out to dinner and dancing, you big lug. At the very least."

He grinned. "Done!"

"Hey, wait, don't I get a vote?" Lisa pouted.

"Only for who gets to go first," I replied. That did it; we all broke down laughing. When it passed, I spoke up again. "Okay, I'm up for
some food. Anyone else hungry?"

Terrence opened his mouth to speak and his stomach growled, so loudly I thought it must have hurt. He blinked. "Um..."

"That's a yes," Lisa put in, leaning over to plant a kiss on his stubbled cheek. "He'll need his strength." She straightened up
and grinned. "I just went shopping for groceries, we cleaned the place out."

"Let's go out," I said. "My treat."

Terrence looked back and forth between me and Lisa, apparently content to let us decide it. Lisa shrugged. "Sounds good to me."

"Just let me get dressed," I said. More bits and pieces were coming back -- I knew I hadn't been drinking, now, but whatever had been in those
needles had made that first step a doozy. So it was with only mild confusion that I stumbled down the hall to retrieve my clothes, cell phone, and assorted
other pocket plunder.

Hm. I'd missed some calls, looks like. And ... oh, wow. I wandered back to the bedroom, entering to find the two of them staring at me and my giggling.
I held up my cell phone in explanation.

"I'm missing a day," I said. "And I don't regret it, don't even START looking like that!" I added as Terrence started to cloud
up.

"So what's so funny?" Lisa asked.

"I missed my appointment with my therapist. And I just thought, wow, how am I going to explain THIS one to him?" I was laughing so hard I could
barely talk, leaning back against the gently glowing wall and sliding down to sit on the floor. For a moment they held it back, but then both of them joined
me.

"He's- he's- he's been worried that I-" I choked out. "-that I need to socialize more, that I don't have enough friends in
town." That brought on another howl. Terrence in particular looked like he was having trouble breathing.

When we calmed down I rose and sat on the bed, still giggling. I planted a kiss on both of them. "Thank you... thank you both," I said. Before
they could reply, I chirped, "Now let's go get some food into Terrence so he can keep up with us later!"

So saying, I untangled my costume... then sighed. I held it up and looked at it sadly. The material is great stuff, those geniuses over at Icon really know
how to work it. It'll stop bullets, Vahz vomit, flame bursts, and grape juice without a qualm, washes clean and air dries in minutes, and never loses its
shape. It is the wonder material of our age. And even so, it can't stand up to a hospital. Why they felt it necessary to cut away so much of it I'll
never know.

"Say, Lisa, you wouldn't happen to have some clothes I could borrow, would you?" I asked, indicating the sad remains of my favorite costume.

She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment, and with an evil grin said, "I think I have *just* the thing."

As we wandered down the street arm-in-arm-in-arm in search of food, I kept catching flashes of myself in the windows we passed by, and mentally itemized a
checklist.

Tight black jeans: $50

Tighter green t-shirt with a large green radioactivity symbol: $25

The look on Terrence's face walking between Lisa and me: Priceless.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Wiregeek - 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Fic - by Rev Dark - 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
[No subject] - by Ankhani - 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 04-30-2008, 02:08 AM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 04-30-2008, 03:56 AM
[No subject] - by sweno - 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
[No subject] - by Ebony - 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM