Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pull-quotes
RE: pull-quotes
Relevant quotes from, and via, the latest inciting exstallment of The Last War in Albion:

"If somehow our children ever see the day in which it is announced that we do not have these weapons anymore, that we can no longer destroy ourselves and that we’ve got to come up with something else to do with our time, then they will have the right to throw up their arms and let down the streamers and let forth a resounding cheer."
-- Alan Moore, England Their England: Monsters, Maniacs, and Moore (1987)

"Was I telling you about those political bookshops my dad used to take me to? What was I saying? Those terrible ban-the-bombzines; when you're a kid they just look like comics at first but they're not. It's all screaming Hiroshima faces, burning cities. I used to imagine God was a skeleton and the thunder was the sound of his big, black iron train. War, apocalypse… they were like comics from hell. It really fucked me up."
-- Grant Morrison, Flex Mentallo: After the Fact #3 (1996)

"Before it was a Bomb, the Bomb was an Idea. Superman, however, was a Faster, Stronger, Better Idea. It’s not that I needed Superman to be 'real,' I just needed him to be more real than the Idea of the Bomb that ravaged my dreams."
-- Morrison, Supergods: what masked vigilantes, miraculous mutants, and a sun god from Smallville can teach us about being human (2011)

"They're about as far from social realism as you can get, but the best superhero stories deal directly with mythic elements of human experience that we can all relate to, in ways that are imaginative, profound, funny, and provocative. They exist to solve problems of all kinds and can always be counted on to find a way to save the day. At their best, they help us to confront and resolve even the deepest existential crises. We should listen to what they have to tell us."
-- Supergods

"In Moore's eyes there is a rot intrinsic to superheroes; something about it which inevitably gives way to a terrifying cruelty. To use the tagline for another Supergods, 'praying to a man who can fly will get you killed.' In Watchmen, the people look up and whisper 'save us' and Ozymandias nukes them with a fake alien. The only alternative to this salvation is Rorschach's psychopathic obsession and the chance actions of an incompetent errand boy for a right-wing tabloid. Superheroes are not the answer, but rather the problem. Moreover, however, they’re a very specific problem. The major divergence from established US history, aside from the perpetual reelection of Richard Nixon, is that Doctor Manhattan’s destabilizing effect on the Cold War, especially once he departs the Earth, ends up making it substantially less cold. In other words, the ultimate expression of the nuclear bomb is the living weapon."
-- Elizabeth Sandifer, "She saw places that aren't even there any more! (The Last War in Albion Book Two Part 12: Pax Americana)" (2015)

One subject, two different views. Twelve-and-six in a plain wrapper.

Messages In This Thread
pull-quotes - by Mamorien - 08-07-2014, 11:57 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 08-08-2014, 06:37 PM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-09-2014, 03:28 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-09-2014, 04:01 AM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-09-2014, 07:13 PM
[No subject] - by Mamorien - 08-09-2014, 08:18 PM
[No subject] - by Last Free Human - 08-10-2014, 08:25 AM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM