Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes for an action RPG
Re: Notes for an action RPG
Quote:
Pong - big ball that returns after being thrown, pinball type special moves (would have to use a different name, since Pong is a trademark for the game - something pinball-related?)
Pinball. Have it as a hollow sphere with, y'know, glowing lightning and everything along its surface, and a bright line through its axis.
Hmm. Another potential power for this would be Jackpot - a damage multiplier.
...this is tangling in the back of my mind with vague memories of something you brought up before - something to do with romance and dimensional travel and wierd aliens that adapted to the main character's mind a la Serendipity...
Anyway.
Penguin should be not so much of a combatant - I'm thinking that the gloves might do well for 'Stage Magic' tricks - say coin bombs for the basic attack, then summoning (explosive laden homing) doves, Mystic Tibetan Throwing Cards, and some sort of lockpick function. The Umbrella's applications are obvious - melee weapon, shield, feather-fall, sniper shot. The Hat, I'd suggest, would be used to access a sort of expanded infinite-storage inventory, where otherwise the characters would be strictly limited in the number of things they could carry. Penguin, even before gaining a human form, should be a very smooth operator - James Bond, only better.
Rather than hard-mapping the controls, I'd suggest letting them be configurable - certainly there were a number of times when I was quite irked by Jade Empire's setup.
I have no idea how to design offensive powers around a pizza-boy theme.
Possible 'Worlds'
-Desert Hell (aka, Planet Gunsmoke)
-Tribal Jungle (don't ask what's in the stew)
-Tropical Atoll (which mostly actually happens underwater)
-Ye Olde Countrie (some of the knights say 'NI!')
-Rocky Mountain High (welcome to Sky Haven)
-VOLCANO! (Some like it hot)
New Character for Party! You have rescued MAD ALEX, Sky Pirate of Infamy. Superb melee offense, midrange elsewhere. (Alex is a romancable character, and may appear as either gender depending on initial selections)
New Character for Party! You have rescued EN, Elven Ranger. Good melee, excellent ranged, so-so endurance, stealthy special powers. (Romancable, gender varies)
New Character for Party! You have rescued OG, Learned Tribal Shaman. Good-to-So-So in most categories, heavy-duty magics. (Ancient mentor figure? Nubile cave-girl? I leave it up to you...)
Okay, granted, all three of those are a little more standard that the examples you've given, but they can be a starting point to work from.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"

Messages In This Thread
Notes for an action RPG - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 04:19 AM
interesting - by Rod.H - 04-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Re: interesting - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Re: interesting - by jpub - 04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Re: interesting - by ClassicDrogn - 04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by Valles - 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by ClassicDrogn - 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Re: Notes for an action RPG - by Valles - 04-21-2006, 01:48 AM