Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zombieland
Review
I saw it recently as well (my Mom descended on the hospital to cover off Darkling, and Dad dragged me away for a few hours).

So the review: Time to Nut Up or Shut Up.

This film rocks. It Oedipal gerund rocks. Take a page from Max Brooks instead of George Romero, it rattles the genre in an exciting way; it is visually
appealing (the rules especially) and mixes in the ironic and the surreal along with the requisite flesh munching, head shots, and tense eaten-any-moment
atmosphere that makes the genre so exciting. Mad props go out to Harleson for hitting his role - simultaneously the easiest and most difficult- out of the
park.

I think the reason that there are so many comparisons to Sean of the Dead - aside from the obvious humor - is that this is a warm movie. Most zombie movies
are pretty desolate, and even the leads flirt with likability. Here there is an underlying sweetness to all the protagonists. You like them. In a moment of
Sally Fields gushing, you could go as far as 'You like them - you really like them!' You want the protagonist to become a man; you want Tallahassee to
find his grail; you want everyone to get out without becoming members of the cannibalistic munch-bunch. The genre cliches are there, but are handled so
adroitly as to rise above their source.

I got my money's worth, and am going to try and drag Cindy out to see it before it leaves the theaters. It is that good.

The cameo - not what I expected - loved it to death. If someone tries to tell you who it is, break them. Hard.

Take the time to enjoy the little things. See it.

Shayne

Messages In This Thread
Zombieland - by Epsilon - 10-04-2009, 01:50 AM
[No subject] - by sweno - 10-07-2009, 04:16 AM
[No subject] - by Logan Darklighter - 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
[No subject] - by jpub - 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
[No subject] - by Norgarth - 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Review - by Rev Dark - 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM