Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Did Paul Anka Become A Lounge Lizard?
When Did Paul Anka Become A Lounge Lizard?
Peg's mom surprised us with tickets to Paul Anka's concert at the State Theater in New Brunswick tonight.  As it so happens I have a track or two of Anka's in my music collection that I like quite a bit, and I knew that he had a number of early-rock-era hits that were reasonably listenable.  Plus I needed the cheering.  But...
The first hour or so of the concert was Anka basically bouncing around trying to do these jazzy versions of his older songs, and a few other things -- like a really... odd... version of "Mack the Knife" he did as a tribute to Bobby Darrin.  The weirdest moment was the version of Van Halen's "Jump" he did -- I swear it was right off of Richard Cheese's "Lounge Against the Machine" CD.  (I actually caught the last minute of that performance on my cellphone if a demonstration is needed.)
Eventually he settled down, but for the longest time it was like watching someone's little old Jewish grandfather trying hard to be cool at a party thrown by the younger folks.  It was obvious that he was enjoying the hell out of himself, but it just came across a bit... cheesy and/or self-indulgent at times.  There were points where he was clearly improvising new lyrics to various songs on the spot -- like the moment when a cellphone belonging to someone in the front row rang while he was down front singing in their faces; he took the phone and answered it in song, getting in a dig at the caller for interrupting the show while he was at it.  (Yeah, I suppose it could have been staged.)
Anyway, I guess I'm just suffering a little cognitive dissonance between the guy I knew for mellow (and sometimes oddly intense) performances on the radio in the 70s and this hyper 70-something lounge lizard.  There's really nothing really profound here.  Sorry to bother you...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Messages In This Thread
When Did Paul Anka Become A Lounge Lizard? - by Bob Schroeck - 10-24-2009, 05:35 AM
[No subject] - by VladimirTherin - 10-24-2009, 07:44 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-24-2009, 04:28 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM
[No subject] - by Ebony - 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM