Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Drive Blues - AVERTED!
Bad Drive Blues - AVERTED!
S'why I've been quiet lately.
I came back to my barracks room one day to find that my install of Windows refused to boot up - to the point where not even the recovery console worked.  Right then I suspected the worse.
Unable to figure out what the hell happened, I booted a copy of Ubuntu I had been wanting to reinstall (iDeneb OS-X had borked GRUB and I haven't been able get the damn Hackintosh to work since) and wiped the partition.  No big deal since all the important stuff, like my documents, is on another partition.
Windows 7 reinstalled without a hitch, but to be sure I scheduled a full blown surface scan with chkdsk.  Bingo!  Four files in the System folders were occupying bad sectors.  Chkdsk fixed the problem, but the drive was making that ominous clicking sound that precedes a drive failure.  That made up my mind for me.  The next day I went to Yodobashi's Camera in Yokohama and picked up a 500 GB SATA drive and a new eSATA enclosure.
With that, I prepped the new drive in Ubuntu (new versions come with some robust drive management software) and then shuffled my documents on over.  Then, in goes the new drive and the OS Installation goes off without a hitch.  So now I'm just putting on the finishing touches and getting things settled once more.  I'm just happy I averted the worst of the woes.  (^_^)

Messages In This Thread
Bad Drive Blues - AVERTED! - by Black Aeronaut - 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
[No subject] - by HoagieOfDoom - 08-23-2010, 04:43 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
[No subject] - by Rod.H - 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
[No subject] - by Rod.H - 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM