Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Weird Al" Yankovic is touring again
RE: "Weird Al" Yankovic is touring again
And now the final installment of the pic subthread.

Peggy had Al sign the T-shirt she got:

The back of that T-shirt, which is a fun read (and takes about five minutes or so to completely read out loud):

I got a different T-shirt -- it has the tour logo on the front and the tour schedule on the back (sorry, Rob, he already hit Ontario a few days ago).  Nothing about it different from anything you haven't already seen, so I'm not bothering with pics of it.

Overall, the concert was a lot of fun.  There were songs on the set list which I hadn't heard in years, because I've never gotten around to getting CD copies of my vinyl and cassette albums; I'm going to have to rectify that.  He did some messing with expectations -- they did "Dare to be Stupid" as 60s psychedelic rock, and everything in the Unplugged Medley was performed in a completely different musical genre than it came from.  Oh, and if you've read the back of Peg's T-shirt above, the "we're not sure anyone but us is going to enjoy this" vibe is apparently real -- Al seemed genuinely surprised and pleased that people turned out for this tour and were having a good time.  It's odd that he seems to think that all people really enjoy are the outright parodies, and not what I consider the technically cleverer work of his pastiches and style parodies.

So anyway, it was 1 AM before everything was done and we went back to our room to crash.  (And did I say I loved staying in the hotel where the concert was?  Terribly convenient.)  And this afternoon, after a late breakfast and checking out, we walked up and down the boardwalk of Atlantic City for a while, as the weather, while cold, was still rather pleasant.  Along the way we counted off familiar street names, and finally ended up with this picture of Peggy, standing at the intersection of the Boardwalk and Park Place:

(For those who aren't aware, the spaces on the Monopoly board are named for streets and neighborhoods in Atlantic City, where the game's creator had enjoyed many happy vacations before the Depression. And AC has these wooden arches over the beach access points that are found where each street dead-ends basically at the boardwalk.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Weird Al" Yankovic is touring again - by Bob Schroeck - 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM