Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others.
Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others.
As a bit of background. When the US was launching the Space Shuttle on its first flights, the Soviet Union was busy ossifiying and the New Wave was breaking across Europe's music scene, the Roman Catholic Church decided that it wasn't too happy with its influence on Irish society beginning to wane. The Magdalene laundries were still humming along, but there were some signs of reality breaking through A year before The Kerry Babies, and despite the Government opposing the motion, The Eighth Amendment to the Irish Constituion was passed by the good Catholic People of Ireland.

Effectively, it enshrined the prohibition on abortion into the Constitution.

It has somehow resited attempts to repeal it ever since, despite the best effort of everyone. Unfortunately with Brexit now a thing, the usual workaround may soon no longer be possible.

The next attempt comes in just over a fortnight.

And it's already gotten far more vicious than the usual.

There's no escaping the fact that one side in particular is getting funding from abroad. It's getting a lot of support from certain parts of the world were interfering in foreign referendums is the done thing.  Or as one Twitterbot so eloquently put it, "If they repeal the Eighth, what's to Stop them going after the Second?"

Right up until Google and Youtube shut that down. Even before that, the malign influence of foreign funding the campaign was visible across the intrnet in advertising spaces....   The Ad campaign has been utterly massive on a level that I haven't evber seen.

Needless to say, one side and one side alone has been screaming about it being unfair that they can't tap their massive base in that far foreign land. One is so utterly divorced from the reality of what's happening in the State that it still feels like it has a right to interfere in it becoming anything more than what their granpappy remembers it being.

... or maybe I'm just being bitter about how many canvassers have accents that're very distinctly west of fucking Garraun Point, who think they have a god given right to interfere.

Anyway. Some Choice headlines have already been generated:
Sex Slavery will be Normalised
Graphic posters outside Maternity hospital of aboiirted fetuses
Posters being faked.

But at least I wont have to look at dead babies on Reddit anymore.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
Abortions for Some, Miniature Irish Flags for Others. - by Dartz - 05-09-2018, 04:03 PM