Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's not play the CLASSICS
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS
(05-20-2018, 10:28 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Huh  Why would this new thing for copyright make that story any more (or less) illegal than it already is? 

It's a crossover fanfic, Rajvik does not own either source, so if he was making any money off it, he'd already be in violation of copyright law.    Extending the length of time the current holders keep control of the material wouldn't make it any worse.

Technically, he's already in violation... just that doing it for fun, not money, just means it's not quite as worth going after.

Personally, I already think copyright law is distended well past the point that it means anything. Most everything I've been exposed to, except for the original Oz books, are already never going to enter the public domain until after I'm long dead, and likely after my nieces and nephews are also dead, unless the people who created them made a deliberate effort to release them into the public domain, and even then, the Copyright Cartel is making efforts to try to make it impossible for anyone to be able to do so in their effort to shove the Internet genie back into the bottle with regards to things like mandatory licensing schemes.

I'd be fine, if unhappy, with the current length of time, if it included a mechanism that basically was either "continued registration and regular renewal required to maintain it after the initial period" (basically, make it just barely not worth just sitting on it to sit on it) or "must be kept available for purchase as directly available content" (basically, after a point, either make it available for purchase, or give it up, again to not just be worth just sitting on it). There's likely already a large amount of stuff that's effectively lost, and more will likely be lost to us before anything is allowed to become public domain again. I'm definitely NOT okay with them trying to double the minimum length of it, because then it would mean that we'll have a generation that would have no clue what it's even like to have a public domain that's actually worth it in the culture.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
Let's not play the CLASSICS - by robkelk - 05-19-2018, 10:55 AM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by Dartz - 05-19-2018, 06:15 PM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by hazard - 05-19-2018, 08:57 PM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by Rajvik - 05-19-2018, 10:24 PM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by robkelk - 05-20-2018, 10:01 AM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by Norgarth - 05-20-2018, 10:28 AM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by LynnInDenver - 05-20-2018, 10:51 AM
RE: Let's not play the CLASSICS - by Labster - 05-20-2018, 02:15 AM