Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy GDPR Day!
RE: Happy GDPR Day!
I saw somewhere that Facebook was basically hiding about 300+ buttons a couple of clicks deep for the individual companies that advertise with them. No single click option to opt out of all of them. I'm suspecting that they're going to not only NOT comply with the intended spirit of the law, but fully intend to see how far they can go in not complying with the actual letter of the law through specific interpretations of the language of it, and I'm damned sure they'll do what is needed to segment their system to make sure no countries outside the EU even get to see the privacy enhancements they are forced to install.

BTW, would I be correct in assuming that the literal best way to comply with GDPR (and I know it's not a bait and switch, it's "here's what will happen if you get clumsy with customer data that should remain private, and here's what we will define as private for the sake of the argument", which the world needs badly) is to minimize data collected and retained to the absolute bare minimum needed to provide service to the person who the data originates from, as well as never selling what little is collected? Read: An impossible standard for most social platforms to actually meet, since their whole business model is predicated on gathering as much data as automatically possible on you to sell on to the highest bidder. The current business models of Facebook, Google, Twitter, Tumblr, et al, just got a lot less certain, all it would take is one breach, much less a bad one, and there goes any chance of a profitable year for the one caught with their pants down.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
Happy GDPR Day! - by Labster - 05-25-2018, 04:29 PM
RE: Happy GDPR Day! - by robkelk - 05-25-2018, 05:10 PM
RE: Happy GDPR Day! - by Dartz - 05-25-2018, 06:07 PM
RE: Happy GDPR Day! - by LynnInDenver - 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM
RE: Happy GDPR Day! - by Labster - 05-27-2018, 09:50 PM
RE: Happy GDPR Day! - by LynnInDenver - 05-27-2018, 11:15 PM