• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow
One more scene, then I'm done.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
November 25, 2016
10:06 am

"Maika, would you ... Maika? MAIKA!"

Rob's shout shocked the newly-hired maid out of her daze, just before she was about to walk into the air at the top of the stairs. "Oh! I ... Thank you, Mr. Donaldson."

"Put that laundry down before you hurt yourself." As she did, Rob continued "The rest of the laundry can wait. What's wrong?"

"Nothing, really."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing that will keep me from doing my work."

"That 'nothing' almost caused you to break your neck. That's a workplace health and safety issue. What's wrong?"

Maika started crying. "I'm... I'm a fictional character!"

"You've been reading your Wikipedia page."

"My Wikia page, actually. Do you know what it's like to have your entire life summed up in one screen of text for everybody to read? You don't! You're not a fictional character!"

Rob winced, then grabbed both of Maika's shoulders. "Snap out of it!"

"I'm not hysterical! I'm angry!"

"Then calm down. Reacting this way won't help you."

"Who are you to say what will and won't help?"

"Your boss."

"Oh." She deflated slightly. "That's right."

"Is it safe to let go of you now?"

"... Yes."

He did so. "Then let's break for coffee, or tea, or something, and we can talk about the nature of reality."

Seven minutes later, they were in the common room, sharing a pot of Earl Grey. They'd almost made a ceremony out of the brewing and serving.

"To answer your question, you're right. I don't know what it's like to be considered to be a fictional character. But I do know what it's like to be famous in certain circles, which is similar; I used to have a reputation in some fan communities."

"What were you a fan of?"

"Let's not go there."

"Japanese cartoons."

"Yes, for their technical merits. Let's not go there."

"Are you still-?"

"No."

"So, you've redefined yourself?"

Not really, Rob thought but didn't say. "You can redefine yourself, too, even if you remain a maid."

"How do we do that?"

"First, we look at what makes up you as you are now, then you throw away some things and build on others. One example: You're not really Tsuchimikado's sister, right?" Maika nodded. "But you feel something for him, right?" She nodded again. "Then, if we find him, we don't treat the two of you as brother and sister."

"What?"

"Wouldn't you rather have a more accurate description of your relationship?"

She thought for a moment. "You're saying I should marry him."

"I was thinking more a common-law relationship, but if that's what the two of you want... Oh, right - you're a practicing Christian, aren't you? Never mind the common-law bit. I suppose I was saying that, after all."

"Why?"

"It would bring your relationship out into the open, and make both of you less the fictional characters described on that wiki and more your own people."

"It would, wouldn't it?" She sipped at her tea. "It can't be just my decision, of course."

"Of course. And now that you've read your own Wikia entry, you can start thinking about what else to emphasize in your life that isn't listed there."

"That's true. I'll do that, after work tonight." She put her teacup down and picked up one of the sweets that Rob had served with it. "Hey, this isn't a macaroon!"

"Some people are allergic to coconut, and I didn't want to take the risk that you might be one of them. That's a cornflake cluster."

Maika studied it for a moment. "Cornflakes and ganache?"

"In a three-to-four ratio, yes. The original recipe called for melted dark chocolate; I thought I'd try substituting a ganache with honey in it. What do you think?"

She popped in in her mouth and savoured it. "It's ... decadent."

Rob smiled. "Good. Now, finish up and get back to work; leave the anger and the decadence for after supper tonight."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow - by robkelk - 09-01-2018, 04:57 PM