Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, Disney, did you really expect there wouldn't be backlash from this?
RE: Oh, Disney, did you really expect there wouldn't be backlash from this?
(12-26-2018, 06:47 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: ... I remember when people used to talk about America being a cultural melting pot like it was a good thing. Then it was "multiculturalism," then "mixing bowl," and now here we are with creating a signature phrase in another language or offering recipes adapted from some other ethnicity to local tastes is cultural misappropriation.

From what I read in the article, the issue isn't "creating a signature phrase in another language", it's "taking a pre-existing signature phrase in another language and making money off it without asking first".

(12-26-2018, 06:47 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I'd say that "missing the good old days" makes me feel old, but really in this case it just makes me feel sane. If we'd stayed more of a melting pot maybe there'd be less gaping divisions in our society and politics.

Canada has been multicultural instead of being a melting pot since Day 1, and we don't have anywhere near the political polarization that the USA has.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oh, Disney, did you really expect there wouldn't be backlash from this? - by robkelk - 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM