Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to be fair and as impartial as possible
RE: I want to be fair and as impartial as possible
Being impartial isn't entirely necessary in fiction.  After all, what would Atlas Shrugged be without ideology and self-delusion?  It seems like the premise is ideological anyway -- the real "world government" looks pretty much like world leaders slamming their shoes one the table at each other in the UN building, and is about as effective.

I think for me it's all about empathy, though.  You have to understand why a character would act the way he does.  Like, the way you scare-quoted "peacekeeping missions".  I mean, I actually agree with the sentiment there, but understand why someone thinks that sending in soldiers is a way of keeping peace.  For characters who are generally pretty smart -- of which there are some on all sides -- don't start with ignorance or malice.  Try to build a case for how their mind would work.  Never assume that someone would vote against their own interests (hi @liberals), they must prioritize their interests differently than you do.  You can build towards malice, of course -- character development is always good.

I think my biggest critique is with "Chapter One".  People know recent history; start in medias res.  Then slowly reveal how you got to this point.  Like, say, 1984.  IIRC, a lot of the "how we got here" stuff gets explained just before the climax in Room 101.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: I want to be fair and as impartial as possible - by Labster - 01-01-2019, 10:29 PM