Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020, the election campaigns have begun
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun
Here's something interesting from around me. The New Jersey State Senate has just passed a bill requiring the disclosure of a Presidential candidate's last five years' tax returns before he is allowed on the ballot. If the other house, the Assembly, approves it and the governor signs it, it will keep Trump completely off the ballot in NJ (and far away from its 14 electoral votes) if he still insists on hiding his financial history.

This isn't the first time such a bill has come up; in 2017 a virtually identical bill made it to the governor's desk. But the governor at the time, Chris Christie, was a Republican and Trump supporter, and he vetoed it. The current governor, Murphy, is a Democrat. If it gets through the Assembly (not unlikely) and Murphy signs it, NJ will be the first state (of about 30 with such laws in progress) to require tax return disclosure from Presidential candidates.

Bill would keep Trump off 2020 NJ ballot unless he releases his tax returns
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun - by Bob Schroeck - 02-22-2019, 08:11 AM