Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Villains and Destroyers
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers
(06-01-2020, 06:11 AM)Labster Wrote: I have zero knowledge of what you're talking about.  I'm vaguely aware that Bungie is a software company.

In general game crossovers are a bit more difficult in a shared universe than all of the others because of
1. You have to play to experience it.  This takes time, and often skill.  I'm pretty terrible at FPS, might not be able to get most of the content.  I got sick of waiting for summons and never bothered to play to the end of Final Fantasy VII.  Books/movies/podcasts can be experienced passively.
2. Games enforce the logic of their genre pretty hard, with a few exceptions.  Otherwise, you couldn't play it.  Most of the time, those exceptions are minigames.  Drizzt clones are the start of the thing.
3. Game characterization is weaker, most of the time.  The setting elements are fine.  But there's a reason why there are so many different interpretations of the Touhous.
4. Games tend to be bad at random access for fanfic reference material. Some are better than others, but the best bet involves multiple saves and/or hoping someone put the cutscene on the net.

Well, Destiny is pretty much *The* FPS-MMO if your tastes run to high science fiction/fantasy.  Others have tried to make the "Destiny Killer" that would triumph over Bungie's title, but they usually fail horribly in one way or another.  (Bioware's Anthem came real close, but they screwed the pooch with - what else? - the story line.)

I wouldn't let the FPS part kill the joy - it's actually a very easy FPS, if for no other reason than it allows an absurd variety of weapons for every type of play style from in-your-face spray-&-pray, to "You, that dude about a kilometer down the road?  You're dead."  Oh, and the aim assist on this thing is outrageous to the point where it's almost a hindrance.  (I've been sniping in a target rich field many a-time and almost had a peach of a headshot, just for some other rando mob character jump out of cover and have the aim assist drag my targeting reticle off my intended target.)

Just stay out of the PvP stuff (Crucible, Iron Banner, and Gambit) and you can have yourself a grand old time.

By the numbers here...
1. Destiny's lore is actually VERY accessible.  In fact, I'm pretty sure someone's done a good fan-novelization that covers all the important stuff plus some of the more fun apocrypha (such as the lore behind certain "Exotic" level armors and weapons - Tommy's Match Book is a fun one.)  There aren't very many cut scenes, and they're all the same no matter what class or race of character you're running.
2. True, but I don't think I've seen anything yet in Destiny that would clash any worse than say, Sailor Moon and Star Trek.  The only big thing is that some of the Big Bads in Destiny would give The Culture a pretty damn good run for their money.
3. About the only characterization that is weak at all is the player character.  Your character has no memories of their past life (you've been dead for some several hundred years when your "Ghost" finds you and resurrects you) - the only clue we get is during one mission on Venus where the security system in an old lab recognizes you and greets you by name - Dr. Shim.  Otherwise, all the characters have pretty strong characterization.  Even the ones you wind up not seeing often.  (Put it this way - one of the major characters was voiced by Nathan Fillion - and he fit the role like a glove.)
4. Again, the lore is very accessible.  And also the story is pretty linear.  There's not much branching going on here because it's an MMO where everyone is playing the same role of The Big Damn Hero, but from your perspective they're just other Guardians.  And what cut scenes there are, they've been available on Youtube for quite some time.  Here's all the cut scenes from the first Destiny game, plus all the DLCs.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6N7h1F92Qs

Messages In This Thread
[OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Labster - 02-14-2019, 11:11 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by robkelk - 07-21-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Dartz - 07-21-2019, 02:14 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Norgarth - 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Norgarth - 07-21-2019, 02:49 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Labster - 07-22-2019, 03:27 AM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by robkelk - 04-30-2020, 08:49 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Labster - 04-30-2020, 10:03 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Norgarth - 05-01-2020, 02:30 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by robkelk - 05-01-2020, 02:34 PM
RE: [OOC] Villains and Destroyers - by Labster - 05-12-2020, 12:39 AM