Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elite Dangerous - Distant Worlds 2
RE: Elite Dangerous - Distant Worlds 2
(05-22-2019, 05:51 PM)Wiregeek Wrote: I'm in awe at the size of the thing.

Katamari Damacy references aside, EBig Grin has always impressed the hell out of me.  It's just a seething hive of humanity and purpose spread on the scope of a galaxy...   Y'all are why LitRPG is becoming a thing.

I'll be joining you someday.

This is quite possibly the biggest game simulation ever. I mean EVER. The entire Milky Way Galaxy is procedurally generated. Nothing is set in stone until someone visits a system and scans it. But once they do - it IS set and stays that way. That's why actually mapping the Galaxy like this MEANS SOMETHING in the larger sense of the game! 

ALSO - data from NASA and other sources is updated into the simulation. Remember the Trappist 1 system recently discovered? Turns out Stellar Forge had procedurally generated a VERY similar system in that exact spot! But the Devs at ED weren't satisfied with similar - so on an update last year they replaced it with something much closer to the ACTUAL Trappist-1 system. 

There are swaths of stars that sometimes appear far too dense and regular compared to the surrounding star fields - those areas are where they've updated the Galaxy with new data from the likes of Hubble and other telescopes that've been made public. These guys are really dedicated to their version of the Milky Way galaxy being as on point as possible!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Elite Dangerous - Distant Worlds 2 - by Logan Darklighter - 05-22-2019, 06:01 PM