Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Architecture can be a great jumping off point for thinking about settings.  It's pretty obvious that the Infinite Fortress in GetBackers was inspired by the empty, half-completed skyscrapers after the bubble economy ended.  And, of course, how many stories involve Tokyo Tower or the Empire State Building?  I've even done it in my hometown.

There was an old furniture store that was built next to our city mall, two stories but nearly tall enough to fit four floors.  It had these huge modernist stand-alone awnings.  And it was closed, boarded up, for over thirty years.  For the first twenty or so, you could see the faded letters of the sign, BARKER BROS, if you knew where to look, among the faded pink paint.  But it was windowless, doorless save for an entrance through the plywood, bounded by immense ficus trees growing in planters far too small to hold them.  All this right across from the city's main bus terminal.

There was a reason such a valuable property went unsold.  Perhaps, the furniture was all still inside?  Maybe it was no longer a store, but more of a hideout, a redoubt, for something sinister.  A place for those creatures who wouldn't need, wouldn't want the daylight, vampires.  Closed in this were ballroom hung high with chandeliers, a chambers with ornate gothic furniture, and dimly-lit council room.  A castle in the heart of the city, with none the wiser as to the elegant, profane acts going on therein.

But then someone bought it and turned into a gymnasium.  But living this close to Sunnydale, things like this happen.

But I am kind of tempted to add this NYNEX thing to the metacontinuity.  Even if New York is populated by people who think their city is the only civilized place in the world.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals - by Labster - 05-25-2020, 12:40 AM