Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dipping a toe into the world of Hi-Fi
RE: Dipping a toe into the world of Hi-Fi
Threadbump, because why not.

I've been making a few tapes off the record player, because I can. Posted one or two of them out as a way to keep in touch with people. I've also since managed to find another one of the same player so I can have a parts donor when something important on it eventually takes a shit. It's already donated a new cassette door which solved an agrevating alignment issue that made some tapes sound like they were being played underwater.

Thing I just learned about tape --- the angle between the head and the tape is critical. If the alignment's off it'll sound like shit - especially if a recording is played on another deck with the alignment in a different way of wrong.

It looks a lot better with a door on it.

[Image: EaRy2XXm.jpg]

I've also replaced the subwoofer with the original one that would've come with the system - so it's a lot more stable and a lot less 'random distracting farts of active bass'. Only downside is that it utterly rattles the house when it's going - it's a proper subwoofer designed for home theatre in a far larger room.

I've managed to get a full set of seven speakers for it - but I've run into another problem. I have nothing that'll drive it. Optical output from the Xbox will only do 5.1 and the Receiver is so old, it won't take a HDMI input. Which means needing to find some sort of breakout for the audio part of the HDMI signal from the Xbox

Only problem with that is I've only found one device on Amazon capable of doing it and it looks sketch as fuck - for one thing, the description is very Chinese-English

Can anyone think of any better options

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
Dipping a toe into the world of Hi-Fi - by Dartz - 05-16-2020, 12:54 PM
RE: Dipping a toe into the world of Hi-Fi - by Dartz - 04-04-2021, 02:39 PM