Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
(06-14-2020, 09:10 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: While I agree with most of that, being sexist and racist against straight white guys is not any better than the reverse, you know - equal wrongs is not the same as equal rights. It also means missing out on a lot of very good stories, though that's a side consideration at best.

I don’t get how you got from LynninDenver’s niece refusing to read anything by white/cis persons is racism against straight white guys.

As I see it she is just choosing not to engage with a white cis gendered perspective in her fiction, which probably permeates 90% of her interactions with the world anyway and instead giving that space to other voices and perspectives. Which is a sentiment I can get behind. After going thru my personal library I know I need to read more from POC authors and LGBTQ+.

As author Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie Said in her TED talk The Danger of a Single Story

Quote: What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of story, particularly as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify.”

I recommend everyone watch that talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_ngo...ngle_story
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Messages In This Thread
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air. - by SilverFang01 - 06-14-2020, 10:12 AM