Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
When I say, "easy to learn", I mean that the learning curve isn't terribly steep - you can start with some basic principals, follow along, learn while you do the scut work, and then eased into while someone qualified watches over your shoulder.  Slowly, you start to learn the Why-for's behind what you do - local codes and standards and why they exist.  (It's like starting out with the practical material right away, and then once you're useful they start cramming theory into your head.)  And as you go along, they watch you less and less and instead simply check over your work to make sure you didn't goof anything up.  Yes, there are tests to take, but the idea is that they should be a breeze if your apprenticeship is being handled properly.

If it wasn't this simple, then you wouldn't have the apprenticeship system at all.  Instead, vocational jobs would be something you'd need a bachelors degree for.  But this is literally not rocket science.  Yes, there is some engineering involved, but to my understanding, that doesn't come until they're prepping you for your journeyman qualifications.

Although there are a few fields they do have formal schools for.  Stuff like HVAC technicians, for example.

And really, a good number of Americans have reason to not pursue vocational work: IT IS FUCKING BACK BREAKING AND DANGEROUS.  Believe it or not, I've had a taste of what that was like during my stint in the Navy.  It's really no different - you do actual work that requires a degree of technical skill, and often in adverse conditions that most people would go "FUCK THAT SHIT!"

Extreme heat?  Extreme cold?  Heavy tools and materials?  Dangerous work areas?  All part and parcel with vocational work.  I've literally been there and done that.

As for what it pays?  HAH!  Hazard?  You really think that a field that in as high of demand as welders or plumbers is gonna pay chicken shit wages?  Why the hell do you think that plumbers can get away with charging exorbitant labor fees?  And if they're running their own operation, that money pretty much goes straight into their pocket.  (Minus taxes, of course.)

Here's some hard data to back me up on this:
https://www.housecallpro.com/learn/plumber-salary/
https://www.economicmodeling.com/2020/05...ders-make/

Do note that they also take into account the apprentices that do the basic stuff and thus make a very low wage.  But on average?  Yeah.  It's nothing to scoff at.  Those are some very legitimate living wages.

Most young Americans are angling for jobs in the tech sector.  Which is fine.  Big data is a booming industry, and as I've mentioned elsewhere on the forums, San Antonio has seen it's share of big data centers pop up.  There's plenty of work available in fields like that.  The only real bottleneck is the education and how much it costs.

Meanwhile, you have migrants getting teargassed at the border because "MUH JERBS!" that people complain about them taking, but no one really wants to do.  <s>After all, God forbid that we get some more citizens who can be productive, tax paying members of society because of the horrible things they'll bring with them, like culture and food!</s>

Messages In This Thread
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third - by Black Aeronaut - 08-03-2020, 04:07 AM