Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines?
RE: [Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines?
We could build one - I mean, it's possible to passivate against the corrosive effects of the venusian atmosphere. A little like a space-lift with a massive power source at the top - a mix of power generators or a massive plate of solar panels.

Once properly anchored to the ground it's then a matter of using the generator power to ionise the atmospheric gasses and accelerate them to a useful velocity. A sort of planetary caterpillar drive.

There's probably some numbers you can put on it. But I wouldn't even know where to start.

Even using the solar panels themselves as a sort of massive optical turbine to assist.

Eventually you're going to get to the point where you're out of atmosphere, and need to use actual bedrock. And maybe reduce the moment of inertia of the planet. Could that be done with a ring of something? Like gate-metal or one of it's derivatives?

So that's what it feels like to loose sanity points.

It's a pleasant feeling.

That'd be some blue-hair day dumping this puppy out. Towers 20,000km tall - the planet whirling like a catherine's wheel of plasma. Or a massive planet-scale swastika. Did we just turn the planet of love and justice into a giant hate-symbol?

Maybe Dee could run the numbers and work out how fast those jets need to go. We just need to make it spin about 243 times faster.

I should lay off the weizen after work.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Crazy] Venus and Planetary-scale engines? - by Dartz - 08-10-2020, 02:22 PM