Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
Copyright notices in images are used as proxies for "the author doesn't want reuse".  But legally, that's not what it means.  Works with or without a copyright notice are the same under law, and the latest copyright treaty has changed "all rights reserved" into a ritual incantation with no legal effect.

TVT was assuming "we didn't know it was copyrighted" was an excuse (it isn't).  I'm sure many tropers just spent 90 seconds in mspaint to cut off the copyright notice, and uploaded the files anyway.  Fair use applies regardless of the author's intent; a person who holds the copyright can release it under a single use license, permissive license, or dedicate it to the public domain (copyright message and all).  Basically this line of policy is asserting ignorance of copyright status as an excuse when it isn't -- the remedy is always the same: the rightsholder or his agent sends a takedown request, and if it disappears everyone is happy.  So yeah, that line can disappear.

firvulag Wrote:This looks like a very old trope, Herodotus ends book nine of "The Histories" with something similar, circa 415 BCE.
Yes, the original link mentions Herodotus as the Ur Example, along with many more examples I didn't feel like retyping.  I mean, seriously, it's about ten thousand words or more on a trope and how historic it actually is.  And with a page image for free!  Some of the examples are of how cultures were mythologized - Celts by the English and differently by the Scottish (see Boadicea), Gauls by the French because the Franks were too German.  I would like to see a few more intentionally-fiction examples of this trope.  I think he mentioned a couple first-season ST:TNG episodes?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII - by Labster - 11-23-2020, 05:06 AM
That's no fun... - by Bob Schroeck - 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM