Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
Quote:Wait, now I can't remember, was she a martial arts instructor in canon, or just aerobics and dance? My own story, long neglected as it's been, trips me up that way sometimes.
Just aerobics. I've sort of expanded her role as 'wellness consultant' in my reboot - she contracts with clients (very gig-y) to come to their place, do some personal fitness stuff - and act as dietician, sleep-cycle regulator, and occasional therapist to the rich and semi-famous. Doing martial arts (still not sure if I should have it be Panzer Kunst in a fit of references or just something more conventional) is more a thing she does for herself - I dunno, maybe she had a sensei take her under their wing in the years after the quake, or something? She keeps in practice. She's good at what she does.

Quote:Being offered a fat payday to sweeten the deal of putting her martial training to use in ways being a McDojo instructor never could and taking revenge for spilled blood and tears might get her to stop and think, but - even if not stated aloud, or not until later - making an effort at keeping anyone else from having their world shaken the way hers was could be the thing that makes her decide to agree.
I don't know, I just see her as a straightforward person, I guess - money is important because it buys security, and everyone wants that. If she can get paid for trying to make sure everyone has a little more of it against things that money can't fix or replace, even better, right? Not everything has to be complicated. It would also tie in to how she seems to have strong friendships but poor luck in love, if she's a little blunt about things and gets offended by the social lubricant sort of "white lies" in a closer relationship.
Yeah yeah yeah. I can work with that. Move the whole rant about childhood fantasies to someplace later in the script - just generally soften up Linna's tone. Not have her bare her whole dang soul, not yet, but admit that, yes, she wants financial security in her life. And then Celia brings up martial arts. Linna tries to pass that off as just a hobby, but Celia knows better - Linna still has a moral compass somewhere in there. And that's how she worms under Linna's armor and gets her on the team.

...Or am I making things too complicated again?

Quote:Yep, that's it. I always think, "No, Akuma to Tenshi no Kiss is a different one" when the title wanders across my mind looking for something to connect to.
Actually, Akuma might be a good song for that montage! It could be sung in a rock-y enough tone to feel like a Priss song, but still have that nice BGC pop.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay... - by STMPD - 01-05-2021, 01:40 PM