Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
(01-05-2021, 11:17 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: I'm all for keeping a hopeful tone in the story - the constant "you won but actually you lost" inherent to the premise was a key factor in why my momentum on B. Disaster got sapped.
I know, right? Within limits, of course. I don't want to end up writing Fred Herriot's Illusions. Big Grin

But at the same time all this genre deconstruction stuff - considering the implications of the Sabers existing, having their enemies actually try to do something about them with all the power they have - is good to think about. Not as though realism is my goal here, otherwise I'd move the whole setting to Shanghai and severely reduce the cool factor of the Boomers. But plausibility, playing out the implications of new elements in the world - something that makes the audience think 'yeah, they would do that, wouldn't they' - is what I think makes good cyberpunk fiction. Like, so much weird shit has happened societally in our world with just the rise of the internet - I feel as though a strength of the BGC reboot could be considering, say, what happens when automation technology (Boomers) gets so good that we end up having a lot fewer human-necessary jobs than we do humans looking for said jobs. (Could argue we're there already...) So if you have something like superheroes in a cyberpunk world, the cyberpunk side of the story demands the author think about how people would react to their presence, even if the superheroic part wants one to just suspend disbelief and start writing up some supervillains to punch in the face. It's a careful balance.
Quote:It's even possible that Quincy wants to both grind down Celia's idealism so she'll be a useful heir and use her to dispose of no longer useful ambitious minions.

How do you convince someone that there's an endless supply excess? By making sure she has to constantly pick up the pieces. When she's ground down and no longer cares you make her your minion/right hand, possibly by murdering her friends to really drive the point home.

No, this is not necessarily a very smart plan.
I like this way too much. Like, at the end of the first 'season' of episodes, after they've blasted Largo Iteration No. 1 to bits on top of GENOM Tower, and the credits have rolled, she gets a call from someone who sounds like Quincy, but we're not really sure if it's him - he's thanking her for 'dealing with that impostor'.

And then he follows up with something like: "You see the dangers our future faces, now? The threats careless use of technology by small-minded men creates? What is necessary to stop such things?"
"Yes. I understand that humanity has great potential for evil-"
"You know. Abstractly. For all your father's gifts, you still do not understand. But you will. In time, with experience, you will see that I am right."
Celia doesn't respond. She's trying to think of a way to piss him off.
"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man-" She hangs up. Cut to black.
...Or something like that.

Update: Okay, political madness aside, things are okay. Really. I just wrote like five good pages of close-quarters gunfight - the Sabers rescuing Nene from GENOM 'Repossession' Boomers. Lotsa shooty, lotsa Boomer gore, even a mouth laser involved. Read it!

Messages In This Thread
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay... - by STMPD - 01-06-2021, 01:22 PM