Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
Quote:Wow, here I thought this thread would go dormant without my constant promotion of content within it. Cool to see it can sustain itself.

BGC is like catnip for fanfic writers. Strong characters, a decent setting, and a plot that just ends in the middle. Sequels that really only considered quasi-canon.

I honestly don't see a problem from Priss about Sylia being a shareholder in GENOM. There's poetic justice in using the company's profits against itself. And power does not corrupt absolutely, no matter what the genre says -- there are lots of examples in history of responsible use of power and things get better. No, my main problem with it is that the higher a chance of Sylia being able to stage a coup, the bigger threat she poses to Quincy. And the more likely that just one day he'd decide to go all-in against her.

Megatokyo itself makes more sense in the context of the bubble economy. It just kept getting bigger, and things got worse along the way. GENOM swoops in to rebuild after the earthquake, and suddenly they're your biggest taxpayer. It's not supposed to be a showpiece, it's just what happened as Japan continued its mass migration to the cities and declining birth rate. They need that extra labor from bumas. I mean, if they didn't have that, the economy would be in shambles.

Not to go all *punk on you but public policy is always a game where someone's life is at risk. Not just war, but health care, education, social welfare, policing. It's entirely possible -- entirely probable -- that people decide that the cost of losing a few hundred people a year to boomer rampage is worth the benefit to the economy. People in the U.S. think that freedom to own weapons is worth the thousands that die every year, so why not there too?

I'd put public knowledge of this like US politics. Some people know that rampages tend to benefit GENOM and thus they are behind it. Other people know that boomers just go crazy once in a while, and we need a strong AD Police to take out rogue boomers and other subversive elements. Make social commentary on how corporations take advantage when we can't even agree on facts.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay... - by Labster - 03-24-2021, 05:28 PM