Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
(10-27-2021, 08:21 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 08:08 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 06:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Regarding the Trope Workshop - Is it a hard-and-fast rule that mod-proposed tropes need ten examples, or is that just something we encourage to set an example?

I think we started doing that to avoid the impression that we were fast-tracking admin-created candidates.  By setting a higher bar for mod-created trope candidates we made it clear we weren't showing favoritism.

That's fair. (Rather, it's being seen to be fair, which is in some ways more important.)

(10-27-2021, 08:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 10:45 PM)Umbire Wrote: Also, asking here since it's a bit more likely to be seen:

You Know That Trope Where games have limited-time-frame events that aren't necessarily tied to specific holidays, but rather just particular days of the week, say?

I FEEL like we have something for that already, maybe as a supertrope to Holiday Mode, but I can't think of what it would be named...

That doesn't ring a bell, but I'll keep an eye out for while I do my usual random walk through fixing things.

Likewise. If I were to look (I'm not feeling well today), I'd start looking at the categories about tropes about cut-scenes, and see whether there's anything listed there.

Question about copyright: Canada and many other countries still use the Berne Convention rule of "life plus 50 years" for copyright terms. The UK and US use "life plus 70 years". I've seen some files on Commons that use the Berne rule and thus are PD in the country of the uploader but fairuse in the US. What's the wiki's take on using these files?

I ask because John W. Campbell died in 1971, and thus his stories (including "Who Goes There?", which the wiki has a page for) become PD in Canada on January 1.

Technically, since we outsource from the WMF servers for a lot of PD and attribution images, anything from there falls under their jurisdiction, since all we do is pipe a link that ends back at them. For many images, they cite the terms said images apply for in different countries, so they cover multiple life plus X years cases where applicable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - by GethN7 - 10-27-2021, 05:39 PM