Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime recs and requests, a new beginning
RE: Anime recs and requests, a new beginning
One liner grade issekai:
Summoned a Second Time: Flushed at ep5
Most Heretical Last Boss to Savior: watchable to fill time
... I know there was a third, but I can't remember anything except flushing it at ep3, it was so generic.

Anyway, two more recently completed anime to round out the binge - zom100 (100 Things I Want To Do Before Becoming a Zombie/Bucket List of the Dead) and 16-bit Sensation. Two very different shows, the first (like it says on the label) a zombie apocalypse - and believe me, I am UTTERLY SHOCKED to find any example of that I rate even this high - and the other time travel crossed with a passion for video game development.

Yes, they both get super weird, in their own ways. The zombie trash is humor with almost no actual horror aspects; even the blood spatters are a brilliant rainbow of colors and the zombies themselves mostly just look lumpy and/or veiny. The zombie stuff is really more of an excuse to examine the mentality of the various characters, which is undoubtedly WHY it ends up rating so high through most of its run.

The time travel protagonist cries "Ahh! I'm just an illustrator, I'm totally not the main character type!" and is laser-focused on getting to be the lead artist on an ero-ge. It's cute and funny and minimizes the confusion of time travl, aside from the characters working out the what triggers it.

They both have good visual design taking any given frame as a still image and workmanlike animation quality. For sound design, 16bit gets a little melodramatic with the "threat" music when it's not really needed, probably intentionally to mimic the bishoujo-game genre the characters are mostly focused on, while zom100 has nothing to complain about but no real turn-it-up awesome moments either.

They also both have the exact same flaw that drops them from solid seven or eight out of ten to four or five, and that is the "need" to have a villain to end the season with, in both cases crashingly dull and stereotypical in ways that utterly clash with the unique twists the two shows put on their genres up to that point.

I will even go so far as to say don't watch past about two thirds of the way through ep9 for either one, ending zom100 with MC reunited with his parents and 16bit with MC returning to her original time. 16bit's finale arc is tolerable I guess, but zom100 wastes its last three episodes on a trio(? No, I think it was four) annoying diabolus ex machina assholes, trying to make you care about them by dropping their backstories all at once intercut with them fighting a member of the protagonist crew, who uses talking-no-jutsu to dismantle their excuses for being horrible wastes of living flesh. Then it's just a "ride into the sunset" coda far less satisfying than if it had ended before the last arc.

Man, I need to watch more stuff that's actually worth recommending, though up until ep9 these would both make the cut, even if I doubt I'd watch them again.
--
‎noli esse culus

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anime recs and requests, a new beginning - by classicdrogn - 01-01-2024, 02:39 PM