Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Big FFML-verses
The Big FFML-verses
Just reminiscing about the old FFML/rec.arts.anime.creative days of the 90s, and the big anime/fanfic of those days.

From a purely personal POV, I believe that the big fanfic of those halcyon days were Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Bubblegum Crisis, and Tenchi Muyo.  I'm actually basing this as much on those big mega-crossovers by Bailesu and Chris Davies, as much as anything.  

Now Our Hero Doug has gone to BGC-verse, and is going to Sailor Moon-verse at some point, but from a quick search through the yuku archive I can't seem to find much or anything at all about a Ranma or a Tenchi Muyo step.

What exactly would be the driving conflict for Ranma, though?  It's not as if there's a Big Bad to menace people, though Happosai is pretty much the default antagonist.  Him or Cologne.  Or an OC.

For Tenchi, it pretty much depends on which continuity you use.  And if you use the original OVA, you have to contend with the fact that the three goddesses who created the universe are hanging around a lakeside house enjoying quiet days, punctuated by the Earth blowing up every once in a while.

Then there's the later, early 2000s anime fanfic surge, which saw a ton of Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing . . . hmm . . . what else . . . this was before Naruto/Bleach . . . but after Evangelion . . . . No, I think that's it.

Yeah, actually, looking over the list of official crossovers, Doug's never gone into a shounen-manga world, has he?  I wonder how he'd deal in that situation.

As for the slightly older anime fanfic, that too merits some thought.  I am of course talking about the Dirty Pair, Akira, Megazone-23, and the various Robotechs.  And possibly Urusei Yatsura.  I got this list from vague memories of the self-insert anime from around the late 80s, early 90s, like Undocument Features (there was another UF-type fic which also involved a bunch of college kids getting their hands on motorcycles from anime and turning bits of their college into spaceships thanks to the Dirty Pair, but the title escapes me).

Somebody here already did a Dirty Pair steplet.  I would like to see what Our Hero Doug would make of Akira (probably try to take down both Tetsuo and the government), Megazone-23 (same), and the various Robotechs (no idea, maybe organize a motorcycle race?).  In Urusei Yatsura, it would be pretty interesting to see Doug as being the voice of sanity and reasonable discourse, while surrounded by super-violent, melodramatic, hormonal teenagers who regularly make reality break down and cry.

Messages In This Thread
The Big FFML-verses - by murmur - 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
[No subject] - by ECSNorway - 12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
[No subject] - by Hazard - 12-17-2012, 11:53 PM
[No subject] - by ECSNorway - 12-19-2012, 12:38 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 12-19-2012, 04:46 AM
[No subject] - by Jorlem - 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
[No subject] - by Disruptor - 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM