Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[STORY] Explain Star Stories
Let's Try This...
Well, I can't say it wasn't my fault.
Granted, you'd think that at some point someone would've picked up that I'm not the most, ah, organized person at times. At the very least Mal shouldn't have been letting me handle the stuff without supervision (and yeah, I'm honest enough with myself to admit that). Hell, I never thought I'd be involved in something like this. I'm a book geek, not one of those rabid gearheads or techies like KJ. I was abso-fucking-lutely terrified to be learning how to fly. But damme if I didn't pick it up.
A lot of it was necessity being the mother of invention, a lot of it just wanting to finally do something with my life. When I met up with the others and we started this whole thing, they pretty much took care of all the important stuff. The legalese, the business shit...I'm really very glad I didn't quite get involved in that. It's not just that it's not 'my thing', I'd probably end up causing a second Depression if they'd let me anywhere near a financial institution. And we needed all the hands we had. And that's what helped, really. Even though I knew I wasn't the most qualified, even though I felt kind of useless at times, people made it pretty clear that everyone had something to contribute or important to do, even if it was just a pair of hands.
As to the piloting...well, I also never thought I'd ever get around to driving a car. Mal suggested it, something about it being a good idea to have a 'spare pilot around'. And I did want to do more then just lift boxes and pick up supplies. After the first few lessons, I realized it was all that hard, just a little more dangerous and needing a lot more responsibility. Flying a shuttle...I tried not to think about it too hard. I also figured the 'wavium would ease things up (crossing my fingers and praying Eris wasn't paying too close attention as I said it) as regards to flying the damn thing.
But to get back on topic, my biomod. I've heard somewhere that handwavium is guided, in part, by the will, subconcious or otherwise, of the person who's been inflicted with it. Okay, not the *will* exactly, but at least whatever was floating in the back of their head. This had to have been the case with my little accident.
As I've said, I'm pretty damned absentminded. After the 'incident', someone made a crack about it being my final graduation into full out absentminded professor mode. What happened was this; we'd just been getting through with the preperations, it can't have been more then a few days, maybe a week, before the Feddies tried to bust the party. The 'wavium had pretty much applied where it could, but there were some cosmetic touches that needed to be done. Some of them had a plan and purpose, some were well...okay, not entirely legit, but that really was the whole POINT.
I wasn't really interested in it, myself. It was more of a vaguely dangerous substance that was amusing to watch in effect, from a distance, but not something I was entirely comfortable handling myself. Yeah, I'm a big chicken, but you can't really blame me. I think I only used a little teeny bit to make some Hitchhiker's Guide-esque mods to my quarters (the radio thing worked a little *too* well). So, I'd done my bit, finished my room, but of course it was in a state of disarray. I cleaned up, grabbing the 'wavium in the process, and head back home for a nice relaxing bath after a hard day of work.
As mentioned above, I'm absentminded.
My usual process is to dump my junk as I enter my current resting place, often in various areas. I dropped my bag, and for some reason I was still carrying this thing of 'wavium (not really sure why, but I was fucked if I'd dump a container, vacuum sealed or not, in my bag). I was worried about it spilling, and this is where things get foggy for me...
I think I must've put it on the bathroom counter, probably so I could put other shit away safely and give it somewhere to rest while I did so. The plan normally would be to then retrieve the dish and put it somewhere safe. Anyways, I got distracted and was so busy with getting the bath going and finishing packing the stuff that'd be moved onto the ship the next day that I forgot about it. Next thing I know, I'm nice and settled in bubbles, reading my Pterry, and FINALLY getting some peace and quiet.
(Oh yeah, as an important side note, I'm not as crazed as some other fen out there. I'm usually pretty moderate. I mean, if I have a robe that looks like it came out of Star Wars, it's not just 'cause it's 'Star Wars', it's 'cause I like it as is, not because of it's origins. My only, well, two of my only, weaknesses are Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and firstly Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Yes, I'm a bit of hypocrite [Image: wink.gif]
I tend to, ah, phase out a little when I'm reading. You could set a bomb off and I'd barely notice. I think what happened, as I was reading (and of course it was Pratchett's 'Hogfather') is that I when I reached for my drink (which I'd set aside), I grabbed the 'wavium instead. Not paying attention, I knocked off the cover and stuck my fingers in, and again, not paying attention, I wiped off whatever on my hair.
Yeah, I know. On my hair. I never said I was the brightest of the bunch.
Fortunately, it wasn't a lot, but...I soaked my hair, and I'm pretty sure it got into the bathwater, and since I was soaking in that for a good while...kay, any kind of contact with handwavium is going to have side effects.
I guess I should be grateful that nothing painful happened. I've heard stories from others that the switch isn't always that pleasant. I didn't even realize what had happened till the next morning...slept right through it after I got out and went to bed.
When I looked in the mirror the next day?
First reaction was obviously shock. Second was insane glee, especially when the mass of white (black streak there too) began to twist of it's own accord. Third was annoyance and then depression when I realized this wasn't something could switch off and I was never getting my normal hair back. I realize hair is a fairly minor thing to get upset over, but dammit, I had an almost back length mass of wavy golden locks. And having hair that randomly switches styles or just damn moves around on you can get kind of irritating, as much as I'm a fangirl of Discworld.
But I adapted. I dye my hair now and then, but it never stays in very long. And there's other things too... I'm not sure how I feel about that thing, it's not like I've used it at all.
But y'never know.

Messages In This Thread
[STORY] Explain Star Stories - by M Fnord - 12-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Getting Some Air - by M Fnord - 12-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Let's Try This... - by Vangeek - 01-06-2007, 07:17 AM