Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the origin of crime
Re: dynamism
Quote:
what is in the articles? that's up to Commisar Mfnord to decide.
Christ, don't say things like that. If you get me working on figuring out the Articles of Convention in detail, I'll disappear into it and you'll never fucking see me again. Not cool. If you want to know the basics of the Articles, here you go:
* Don't kill anyone.
* Don't enslave anyone.
* Don't rape anyone.
* Don't rob anyone.
* Generally, don't be a dick & first do no harm.
That's sort of the core values behind the Convention. Stray away from that, you're an outlaw. Band together with other sociopaths, you're Boskonian. Pretty much how it works.
Anyway.
If you wanted to get absolutely fucking pedantic about it, the Convention isn't a hegemony as much as it is a slowly evolving confederation of microstates. The show is dominated by the Big Six factions (Trekkies, Warsies, Wizards, Fivers, Browncoats & Senshi) who have the population, cultural coherency & economic engines necessary to qualify as nation-states in the eyes of cynical mundanes. After them come the minor factions like the Pulpers, Heinleinians, Supers, etc. as well as very small groups with heavy political or economic juju like the Island crew, Stellvia or the Soviet Air Force.
(As an aside, Greenwood would qualify as a faction like this if the owner/proprietor wasn't an ardent US patriot harboring secret dreams of becoming Governor of the US Lagrange Territory. But I digress.)
The Convention sets the Rule of International Law, which when you've got effective "nations" of one in your confederation is really important. It's based heavily on the laws and ethics of the Big Six (since they've got the people, guns & butter to back it up), which means it's based - by and large - on a somewhat romanticized interpretation of Western liberal law, which (surprise, surprise!) is what most of the people in Fenspace grew up under.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Messages In This Thread
the origin of crime - by Murmur the Fallen - 07-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Re: the origin of crime - by Norgarth - 07-29-2007, 04:30 PM
dynamism - by Murmur the Fallen - 07-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Re: dynamism - by ECSNorway - 07-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Re: dynamism - by CattyNebulart - 07-30-2007, 07:23 AM