Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fen Radio Live!
Fen Radio Live!
I havent done much with Fenspace. I did post a ship a long while ago, the SuperBall, but then I ignored Fenspace because I couldnt think of what I wanted my character to do. I just noticed the rules for radio and FTL comm and inspiration struck. May I present to you, DJ John, Fen radio host and his ship, the SuperBall. Please review my character and ship and provide criticism.
Kokuten, I would appreciate your help in figuring out a frequency and station call sign for my radio show.
Jon (Herr Bad Moon), The Inelegant Truth does the news so I would like to request your permission for my character to use The Inelegant Truth for its news source and maybe sister station.
Ship Name: SuperBall
Created by Freddy Isnot
Registry Number: I am not a number
Base Hull: Spaceball gyroscope enclosed in a plastic shell
Drive Type: Speed (max velocity 0.1C), sort of
Owner of Record: Juhan
Purpose: Personal transportation/Radio broadcast station for Fen Radio Live!
Launched: May 4, 2008
Crew:
* Juhan AKA DJ John
Known Vehicle Quirks:
* The drive is broken, it must bounce off another object before changing course. It makes use of the Slapstick Effect to not seriously damage itself or the object it is bouncing off of.
* The SuperBall refuses to accept computer navigation.
* The outer shell of the SuperBall is constantly spinning while the inside remains stationary.
* Due to the nature of the SuperBall, it is more or less impervious to all projectile weapons. However, due to the nature of the SuperBall, it is also incapable of having any offensive capability of its own. There are no weapons, and if it tries to ram another ship, it will simply bounce off with, at most, a slight dent imparted.
Known Crew Quirks:
* Juhan uses Handwavium goo as a hair gel. It is not yet known what effect this has on his hair.
* Despite his accuracy in calculating the spin and bounce of the SuperBall, Juhan sucks on the pool table.
* In order to keep up his 24/7 live radio broadcast, Juhan is a polyphasic sleeper, catching 30 minute naps every four hours.
Faction: Un-aligned
Home Port: Mars
Current Location: On the way to Mars
Trivia:
* As a tribute to the movie, Explorers, Juhan searched for a junked carnival ride to use as a hull. He finally found a rental company selling off an old Spaceball gyroscope.
* Juhan's inspiration for using the Handwavium was Flubber from "The Absent-Minded Professor."
* Changes of direction are performed by deliberately running into an object and adjusting the spin of the SuperBall to achieve the desired angle of deflection.
* The SuperBall also sometimes seen hitching a ride on other spaceships by means of a grapple and rope.
*The SuperBalls internal environment is heated by the powerful radio array built into its superstructure.
* All navigation is performed with a telescope, star chart, ruler, protractor, compass, pencil and paper, and a TI-89 calculator.
* Juhan launched the SuperBall on his birthday.
* The SuperBall has to be launched by dribbling it until it bounces high enough to escape gravity.
* The most technologically advanced device on the SuperBall is a semi-sentient iPod that Juhan uses to play music and news broadcasts.
* Fen Radio Live! is broadcast via radio signal to the nearest Interwave node where it is relayed to all of Fenspace.
* Juhan first began Fen Radio Live! because of his early failures to plot a trajectory that would intercept a planet or space station. After his first miss, not sure if he would survive, he began broadcasting a long rambling monologue, only interrupting with music when his throat became too dry to continue. He continued this broadcast for five and a half hours before a ship, attracted by his signal, gave him a tow to an inhabited planet. After that, he began broadcasting regularly on his approaches to planets or stations to ensure that someone would notice him and, if he missed his target, tow him to safety. This eventually developed into the Fenspace-spanning radio show known as Fen Radio Live!
* At last count, Juhan owes favors to nearly a fifth of all the spaceship captains in the solar system for tows. He usually tries to repay them either in drinks or free advertising.
*One of the popular segments of Fen Radio Live! is Juhans tendency to wander into space battles where, in the relative safety of the SuperBalls semi-invulnerable shell, hell provide a running commentary until knocked away.
~Freddy Isnot
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode

Messages In This Thread
Fen Radio Live! - by Freddy Isnot - 04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Re: Fen Radio Live! story teaser - by Freddy Isnot - 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Re: Fen Radio Live! story teaser - by Kokuten - 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
too late - by Murmur the Fallen - 04-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Re: too late - by Kokuten - 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Re: too late - by Freddy Isnot - 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Re: Fen Radio Live! story teaser - by robkelk - 04-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Fenspace Radio - by Norgarth - 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: Fenspace Radio - by Kokuten - 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Re: Fenspace Radio - by Freddy Isnot - 04-20-2007, 04:07 AM