Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fenchurch
The Fenchurch
This is a very strange idea. It just...hit me...and won't let go. I'm posting it now that I have proper computer access. I don't actually have any plans for this...it's just a sort of random universe rumination.
Might try to work up a short fic based on this. Once I actually finish the current bit of Fenspace writing I'm doing (an Island origin story).
This is presented largely as a Gazetteer entry, though I'd like...I dunno, input before I toss it into that thread. I'm just typing this out off the top of my 'ead here, I'm sleepy, and I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not. Is this just wrong?

The Church of Fenspace
(also known as the Fenchurch, particularly to Londoners and Douglas Adams fans)
Religion is closely tied to culture, community, and way of life. So it stands to reason that with the mass migration of people into space, new beliefs would evolve...or get created, as the case may be. The Church of Fenspace generally subscribes to the creation doctrine, on the basis that God clearly has a sense of humour.
The Church of Fenspace is the largest Christian organisation existing off-planet, and the only one recognised by Christian churches back on Earth. However, "recognised" might be a strong term; the degree of acceptance varies across the mundane religious community. The Vatican and several Protestant bodies regard the Fenchurch as a full-fledged denomination, albeit a strange one...but many others denounce them as a cult. Or worse.
The actual situation is somewhat problematic, because "organisation" is a bit of a stretch when describing the Fenchurch. "Organisation" tends to be lacking in any Fen endeavour, and the Church is no exception. Individual worshippers vary greatly in their theology and conduct. In practical terms, the Church of Fenspace is pretty much a catch-all category for any Fen that professes to be Christian.
That said, the Fenchurch does have a government of sorts. The various priests and pastors are on the same mailing list, and they have a message board. Flamewars are common, but the Church insists this merely shows their members have Fire of the Holy Spirit. God is their moderator, as it were.
And there are a few doctrinal matters that the Fenchurch agrees on. Kind of, anyway. As a general rule, the Church subscribes to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, accepting the existence of God and the divinity of Christ. It is a Protestant or Reformed body, insofar as it does not accept Papal authority...or at least the mundane Pope, but all efforts to appoint a new "Space Pope" have thus far met with failure.
Many Fenchurch members also venerate Saints, although Sainthood in this case is more Anglican in nature than Catholic. Saints are elevated by popular opinion as holy people, rather than formally canonized by Church authorities. Attempts have been made to draw up an official Litany of Saints, but discussions inevitably get bogged down. For example, many believe in St. Rei and St. Asuka of Evangelion...but the Sainthood of Shinji is a bit debatable.
Several groups fall within the umbrella of the Church of Fenspace, ranging from monastic orders such as the Grammaton Clerics and Order of Magdalene to regular places of worship like the Wolfwood Chapel and In Nomine Tether.
The Fenchurch has favourable relations with most other religious bodies in space, particularly the Unorthadox Jewish, Fen Muslims, and Space Buddhists. However, the Church has no association with the Jenova's Witnesses.

-- Acyl
EDIT: It stands to reason people will still have religion in space, right? So you'd get space Christians, space Jewish... here's just a little slice of that.
I'm Christian, really. I also have, however, a very odd sense of humour. And I hope this is an apros homage to both the religion and pop culture references. o_o)
-- Acyl

Messages In This Thread
The Fenchurch - by Acyl - 01-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by Herr Bad Moon - 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by Vangeek - 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by M Fnord - 01-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by CattyNebulart - 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Re: The Fenchurch - by robkelk - 01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Re: The Fenchurch - by The Hunterminator - 01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Re: The Fenchurch - by Black Aeronaut - 02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by The Hunterminator - 02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Re: The Fenchurch - by Acyl - 02-01-2007, 01:42 AM