Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handwavium & Original Intent
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent
Quote:
they can think of better shit to do with handwavium than colonize space while pretending to be Klingons and space heroes and all that
So can I, such as colonizing space without pretending anything. Back when this particular forum first started, I toyed with an idea for a guy -- actually a small consortium, possibly getting financial assistance from a Delos Harriman sort -- who put together a no-nonsense starship (as hardtech as possible, because the captain equated "quirk" with "unreliable") and went out on two- or three-year missions to survey other star systems. They would be somewhat unpopular with Earthside governments, because they share the survey results with everyone. ("You found an Earthlike, uninhabited world? You should've told us and only us, not the Russians and Chinese and Arabs and whoever else!")
I dropped the notion when, among a few other disquieting things, I began to feel that this crew, who wouldn't have any particular fan affiliation, would also be seriously unpopular with the cosplaying sort of fen, regarded as more-or-less "Mundanes with a starship" and thus some sort of abomination. I didn't quite think anyone would wish out loud that the Boskonians would kill off my characters, but....
Besides, I don't have enough hard-science knowledge to write the kind of ship I envisioned convincingly.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Messages In This Thread
Handwavium & Original Intent - by M Fnord - 01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by DHBirr - 01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by Rieverre - 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
for emphasis - by Foxboy - 01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by M Fnord - 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by DHBirr - 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by ECSNorway - 01-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Re: Handwavium & Original Intent - by Ebony - 01-04-2007, 01:55 AM