Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META/DRAFT/RFC] What crosses the line?

Quote:Also, it's very much obvious that This Is Your Baby. I know you welcome new authors -- you say as much just about everywhere -- but, what, do I (as someone who'd like to contribute) just post a message saying "hey is this cool or not?" Is there a protocol I should follow? What's the deal? There aren't many examples, and the ones that DO exist ... well, not to be mean (we don't have to be mean), but I'd rather not follow Murmur's lead, if you get my drift.

Well, if you don't start a thread that's all harsh n' shit about Fenspace and our motivations I figure we'll get off on the right foot. Wink

As for a process, we don't really *have* a formal process. Good examples of how we work are in the threads where we hacked out the wiki entries for Operation Great Justice, Luna and Mars, or the TSAB discussion thread which spun off into the Shuttles in Fenspace thread (which created a mindworm that's squatting in a portion of my hindbrain & refuses to respond to eviction notices. But I digress). Basically, the way it works is somebody comes up with an idea, and whoever's interested kicks it around for a couple days until we get it to the right shape or we get bored & wander off, then it gets archived on the wiki at some nebulous point in time. Once it's on the wiki anybody with user rights can tweak it as needed.

And you're right, there *is* stuff that it seems like Everybody Just Knows About, but a lot of that is stuff that we just don't have any fucking clue how it's supposed to go, so we're ignoring it until either it goes away or somebody has a brilliant flash of inspiration. Shared-world settings are kinda like laws and sausages; no matter how much you like the end product, watching 'em get made is an ugly business.

Quote:What I'm saying is, I at least would like to come play in your yard -- you've got lots of cool toys, and while the weather looks a bit stormy, it's in the nice way. I'm just not sure how to get started on it. Maybe a primer, if someone could be bothered to come up with one (or suffer my questions while *I* come up with one Smile )?

Hey, if you're coming at this from a total n00b's perspective, I'm more than willing to help answer questions. The one thing we *don't* have is a huge-ass fanbase to pester us with inanities, so sometimes we can get a little (okay, more than a little) insular. So quest away, O Seeker of Knowledge! Wink
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-01-2008, 05:30 AM
[No subject] - by Cobalt Greywalker - 06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 06-03-2008, 11:16 PM