Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling a little Lost In (Fen)Space

Quote:Robkelk: I thought that the shaped forcefield tech was pretty much Feinan's thing?
It was, but he decided to share. (Just like my character's not the only one with a large staff of android assistants any more, and Jon's character isn't the only information-gatherer, and Acyl's characters aren't the only ones who lifted something huge into Fenspace.) Niche protection is somewhat weaker now than it was in the beginning of Fenspace.
Quote:Bob: No word about the Wayword Son?
I thought that was one of Mal's...
Quote:but I'm beginning to think it's a dead end because after the boskone war, while I basically know where my characters will be, I'm not sure where to take them(maybe I'm looking to far ahead, but that's about where everybody else seems to be).
I'm still writing a huge story set in the middle of the Boskone War, and I just recently wrote the pre-war origin stories for some of my characters.

If you'd rather set your stories during or before Operation Great Justice, go for it!
Quote:Most of my ideas end up being stuff that's been done before (for example I doubt you need another generic mad scientist, but I can't seem to come up with enough to make Alex unique).
It isn't what you come up with that's important, it's what you do with it.
Quote:but I guess I'm saying I'm not sure I'm creative enough, compared to you guys, to tell the story I want to tell.
That's something we can't tell until after you've posted a story... or at least a few scenes. And even if that is true (it seems everybody thinks he isn't as creative as the other writers), it can be worked around.
Quote:any advice on plotting these things out would be appreciated.
"'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'" - from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll. It's amazing how many writers forget to begin at the point where the reader gets all the information necessary to understand (and thus enjoy) the story, or end where the story has come to a conclusion.

Anything more specific will have to wait until we know what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
Feeling a little Lost In (Fen)Space - by Shinkaze - 10-09-2009, 04:52 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-09-2009, 06:17 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
[No subject] - by Shinkaze - 10-10-2009, 10:23 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-10-2009, 02:35 PM