Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Ottawa--some assumptions. If invalid, please let me know
University of Ottawa--some assumptions. If invalid, please let me know
University of Ottawa -- assumptions

I'm planning on having my protagonist be a graduate of the University of Ottawa, where she studied Handwavium at a doctoral level. I'm making some assumptions about the University, in case anyone else sets any scenes there as well. If the assumptions are contradictory to Fenspace overall, please say something and I'll adjust.

1. The University is actively researching the Handwavium phenomenon -- someone has to, and the University is a major research institution.
  2. Rather than attempt to ban any waved vehicles, they prohibit any motorized flying craft around the campus. Thus, there are a few bicycles flying around -- probably quite a few. (Saoirse will be the one that introduced the ‘waved windsurfer -- with mixed results.)
  3. These waved vehicles are only allowed to fly on campus.
  4. Waved motor vehicles are allowed, with the appropriate government lisences, but can only fly on campus in designated areas.

Canada allows ‘waved vehicles in some circumstances, with paperwork -- and licensed for "Only on campus" isn't as tough to get as a normal license. I'm thinking that the government may even have authorized the school itself to allow Handwavium modified gear at its discretion.

Since I may set a story or part of one there, I wanted to insure that this works -- and also set a consistent background for that school.

It's study and permissive attitude with regard to Handwavium has distanced it from some American universities, but has its own compensations.
I'll be away from the net for a while after today, but will read the responces when I have net access agaion.

Messages In This Thread
University of Ottawa--some assumptions. If invalid, please let me know - by New Hampshire Battleship Lover - 08-06-2011, 02:47 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Oh well... - by New Hampshire Battleship Lover - 08-06-2011, 03:49 AM
[No subject] - by Firvulag - 08-06-2011, 07:15 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM