Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Possible means to reactor cleanup?

Okay, there's all kinds of complications that can arise when working on the clean up for a meltdown.  Look at all the trouble they've had with the Chernobyl reactor.
You see, it's not about fine-tool work.  It's about getting into small spaces that your police bomb-bot couldn't even dream of getting into.  Or hell, even mapping out the space ahead for the bomb-bot so it doesn't have a "help me! i've fallen and i can't get up" moment.  (This would be really bad if it happens in an area where the radiation is so intense that no one can get there without killing themselves.)
Also, if you can attach cutting tools to these bots, then you can remove small portions of the reactor vessel and its associated components.  This is the holy grail of meltdown cleanup - the ability to remove the ruined reactor from the site.  This is because once the remains of the reactor are removed then you can have human workers enter the area to start decontaminating things.  And really, if you could bury the thing in a subduction zone or something, then that'd be best.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
[No subject] - by HRogge - 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM